Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Guys with the 6.2/700r4 combo- highway temp question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been watching my temp gauge like a hawk as of alte after my recent bout of cooling sytem woes. My gauge seems to sit a hair above the 1/4 mark on the gauge on the highway, but when I climb hills it goes up to about 1/3. Going down the hill, it drops back to a 1/4(I'd give you guys the temperature but my gauge in is Celcius not Farenheit).

A buddy of mine who used to run the 6.2/700r4 combo said this is normal because the 700r4 warms up a bit while climbing. Do you guys see the same kind of temp changes during relatively lon climbs? FWIW, the gauge never reaches the 1/2 way mark.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Mine sits at ~190* and never moves. I can kick her down into 3rd going uphill and it still just sits at 190. Every once in a great while the gauge will hit the center, that is very rare. Center of the gauge is 200. Seems to me like you are running cool, at only 150*.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My guage is in Fahrenheit (sp?) and it never goes past 200. on the freeway, long hills, etc etc. it stays at 200. The only time it's ever gone colder after warming up was when there was a major wreck on the freeway here. I was cruising along and the temp was 200...we came to a dead stop and it took half an hour for all of us to creep along to the nearest exit (freeway had been closed for the medical chopper) By the time I got off the highway my temp was down to ~160, and that was about as cold as it got.

I'd say on a hill it's getting warmer because the motor is working harder, and not because the tranny is getting hotter.

Rene

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the same problem . I also found that on the freeway it climbs at 70 mph or above and will drop when I drop to around 55 mph . Just figured it was quirk ?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Mine does basically the same thing. I don't drive over 70 too often but it seems that the more load I put on the engine, the hotter it gets.......

What's wierd is that my tired ol' 305 in my K5 stays put at around 190 once it's warm and doesn't go through this warm up/cool down cycle. The only time it gets anywhere near 200 is when I tow through the mountains with it, and even then it will cool off quickly once I'm done a climb.

Maybe it DOES have something to do with having a 700r4 behind the 6.2 ...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif