Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H&K USP or Glock 30?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 27, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Seeing as how my 21st birthday is less than two months away now, I'm thinking an awful lot about the handgun I want to buy on my birthday.

I was heart-set on the USP compact in .45 ACP, but it only holds 8 rounds. The full size USP will hold 12 once the ban is history, and the Glock 30, which is smaller than both of the H&Ks, holds 10 rounds.

I have not yet fired a USP, I was going to rent one to try out before I made my purchase, but I have heard nothing but good about them. I have fired the Glock 30, and I found it to be very accurate and I was very impressed with its performance (put about 300 rounds through one in one day).

So, what do y'all think? I know jekbrown has a USP.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would recomend going down to your local gun store and seeing what gun feels the best to you. I really like the feel of the CZ-85. If there is a shooting range near you, see if you can try a few guns out.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have shot the Glock and liked it then buy the Glock. It is a great weapon. I personally like Glocks for there all around capabilities. Accurate, durable, and very dependable. The Glock 19 will be my next handgun purchase. I do really like the 10mm though. The compact 10mm would be awesome.

I personally have shot the HK fullsize 45 and it was nothing special in my opinion. It was to big and bulky. I have a big hand and I thought it was a to big. The compact is the one to choose if you decide on a HK.

Harley

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Glock is nice, but everyone has a Glock. That's why I was looking at other things.

I will seriously consider the Glock though, damn was it nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

stick with the fullsize .45, only thing with any real knockdown power. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    stick with the fullsize .45, only thing with any real knockdown power. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you didn't realize, all three of these pistols are chambered in the wonderful .45 ACP. I wouldn't consider anything else.

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you didn't realize, all three of these pistols are chambered in the wonderful .45 ACP. I wouldn't consider anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]
    sorry , I live in a garage /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 10mm is ballistically equal to a .41 mag. That has got some decent knockdown too.

I didn't like Glocks for a long time. Then I started playing with them more (worked at a gun shop) and got to shoot a few. I didn't like the .40 S&W glock (23) but the .45 was cool and the 9mm was too. Haven't shot the 10mm yet, but it is an awesome round in an awesome gun.

The .45 is a great round for sure. I like .45's but my tastes in .45s are 1911 style. My dads Kimber is awesome. I am kind of spoiled when it comes to 1911's though. A guy I worked with had 2 completely custom 1911's. They were the sh*t. They were both $3000+ comp. guns though. His carry gun had a 2.5lb trigger and his comp pistol was less.

I personally love my Browning Hi Power. Great pistol. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Harley

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

give me H&K or give me death. Say what ya want about em, but them two Nazis could design some damn fine guns.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ive shot 1911s, Glocks, berettas, sigs, a DE and a few other autos and the USP is my favorite. Of all the ones I've shot, its the most accurate out of the box. Last time I went to the range I fired a few mags at 25 meters.... pretty good range for off-hand hand-gunnin' and even with dirt cheap crap range ammo, all 20 rounds hit the man-target is some vital part of the chest. The USP is accurate enough that it will never be the weak link in shooting, that will tend to be the shooter.

j

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    stick with the fullsize .45, only thing with any real knockdown power.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it makes your crank so huge you can just knock them out with that!

Tim -

I'd shop around, see if you can get friends to let you try thier guns.

I've had experience with a Taurus M44, Ruger P89, and a 1911 Commander, I like the P89 for all around, 1911 for cool factor if you can accept low cap and jams, and M44 for sheer bravado

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have a USP .40 Compact with just under 30,000 rounds through it. I can't say enough good about this gun. It has only jammed twice. The first time was my very first reload- I didn't put enough powder into it- and the second was a friend's wife who limp wristed it so bad she almost dropped the gun. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I have beat this gun hard, shot it absolutely filthy, left it in the truck over night at 30 below then shot it- basically I have tried everything I can think of to make it fail and have not been successful. I have carried it for 20 hours straight in both a strong side holster and shoulder holster and have not been bothered by it. I often put between 250 and 300 rounds through it in a session before cleaning and have not noticed any problems in accuracy.

The clip holding the spring on the recoil rod broke after about 20,000 rounds and H&K overnighted to Alaska a complete rod, spring, recoil busing after I called to just ask if this was common. I did not even ask for replacement. That is customer service. After shooting my gun, five of my friends have bought one.

Sorry to write a book- but I just cannot find any faults with the USP. If I had to make a complaint, I guess I could want a pound or two off the trigger- only because I have had a trigger job done to different gun recently. I am going to buy a second one for myself for Christmas this year. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You can't have just one!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have shot a 1911 before. Too big for my hands, too heavy, and poor mag capacity. Even so, a great gun, I'm just too small for it to fit in my hand. It was made for guys with bigger hands than I have.

I can't reach the slide release on a 1911 without changing my grip because my thumb doesn't reach, if that tells you anything about how small my hands are.

Even so, I can shoot the double stack Glock, no problem.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn. See that's what I wanted to hear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyone have similar Glock stories?

14. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah, I cant hit the slide release without a grip change on my 1911 or my P89, the safety is hard to get at on the Ruger too. You can buy extended parts for a 1911 though. Nice slim gun though!

Anyone know if it's safe to carry a Manual Safety P89 DA 1st shot safety off? Isn't a decock only like that?

Ever think of CZ? How much do you want to spend? Ever consider .40? How about an EAA Witness?

15. Resurrection_Joe

16. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have small hands as well. So, I know the problems of finding guns to fit. I was actually in the shop to buy a Sig when I tried the USP and found that it fit my hand better.

I have shot quite a few Glocks, and cannot hit the broadside of a barn standing inside of it. I think it is the the angle of the handle. I have to admit they are really capable, strong guns. I like having an external safety as well. There have been a few reports I have read about the thumb strap on holsters hitting the trigger during reholstering causing them to fire. These are just reports I have read- not personal experience.

If you really want a 1911 - there are some Kimber's I have held that fit my hands pretty well.

17. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know if it's safe to carry a Manual Safety P89 DA 1st shot safety off? Isn't a decock only like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

should be, if I remember correctly, they have a "sliding bar" to fill in the space between the hammer and firing pin and when it's not cocked, it leaves space between them to keep them from having contact . this may not be the true pupose for the bar or plate, but that's the assumption I had. we know what "ASSUME" means so don't take my word for it.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have shot quite a few Glocks, and cannot hit the broadside of a barn standing inside of it. I think it is the the angle of the handle.

If you really want a 1911 - there are some Kimber's I have held that fit my hands pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fired the 1911 and Glock 30 the same day, one after another. I fired much more consistantly with the Glock despite it being far smaller.

I think the angle of the grip is what makes a Glock have far less felt recoil than other .45s but that is just me.

I hate to say it but if you couldn't shoot a Glock accurately, either there was something wrong with it or you were having a hard time firing it. My buddy's Glock is one of the best handguns I've ever had the pleasure of firing.

I don't really want a 1911 although the cool factor is up there, but Kimber makes some nice stuff that is way out of my price range.

Is CZ a company, or is that made by someone else? I've never heard of it. It looks big, heavy, and ugly, but I'd like to consider all options before plunking down my cash so I'll check that out too.

19. Resurrection_Joe

Well the .45 CZ is a less common model but the CZ75 is one of the best 9mm pistols ever made, was a discussion about it here a bit ago

Oh and as always COUGH COUGH RUGER COUGH

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh and as always COUGH COUGH RUGER COUGH

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have a Ruger so that's out. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif