Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H.O. Alternator suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Mar 26, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I want to run a High Output Alternator, but all the ones i see in Summitt and Jeg's are like $200/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Is there a 130amp K30 or deisel model that will work that I can get at kragen's or something?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey zakk Kragen does have the ( I think ) 100 amp alt for like 100 bucks it is in there performance section and the only draw back is it is crome..Or you can have the stock one rebuilt beefed up for a little less... mike I had a chevy unit in my now dead (and gone) vw scricco that had 130 amps and the beef up was only like 50-60 bucks from a shop here in town.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You can use the diesel one but I think you need the brackets of a diesel motor I think...

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'd have your stock done beefed up. Cheaper and you know you have all the parts for it.

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

depending on what you wantyour local parts store sells a 100amp for like 63$ its out of a 6 cyl olds 85-87? I have the part# if you really need it...or find tell them you need one for a police or taxi caprice 130amp for like 100$ if I remember right. these both mount right up to your motor.

Chris

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What about the rebuild kits in JC Whitney? They have a 105amp kit for like $35.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you are good with electrical motors, then you can rebuild it yourself with one of the hop up kits. If not, or if you want to be sure of it, take it to a local electric motor shop specializing in automotive stuff like alternators and starters. They will be able to redo it and probably bump it up for about the same or less than the comparable aftermarket piece. Also, if you have any problems, you can take it back easily AND it's always good to support local operations. PLUS you don't have to deal with telephone mail order dummies.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

do you have a part # for me? i appreciate it...

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

do you have a part # for me? i appreciate it...

10. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I went to 4WPW today and bought a 140 amp Powermaster Alt for $140.