Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H/P Dana 60 Rear Steer hot off the press

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1 FN HI K5, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I picked up my rear steer axle last night. (Looking good)
    Man i cant wait to install it anyway wanted to share this with you. Click below Look under rear steer thanks <font color="red">
    1 FN HI K5 </font color>

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

OMG i'm the most jealous person in the world!

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

so how do you steer it, does the passanger get a steering wheel too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It looks really sweet and is really done nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but I have to ask, will your tires hit the leaf springs at full lock? It's hard to tell since it's not shown completely assembled.

Also, what are the half moons welded to the bottom side of the knuckles?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I was wondering the same two things. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Looks awesome though, can't wait to see some action pics.
    (Are you going to be the first person on this site to run rear steer??? If I had to take a guess, I'd say...yes)
    Also, can the hydraulic ram be locked in a "centered" position in order to drive straight/like normal...or will it always turn when you move the steering wheel?
    Again, looks sweet.

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

from what i have read there are two modes to that axle. There is steer (where it steers, duh) and "crab" mode where its wheels will point in the same dirction as the fronts. It also opperates in this way whith lane changes (it has some sensor or something to detect movement). This is how it works on the new GM rear steer stuff. I dont know if all this will be true for a swap.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know about the new quadrasteer setup and stuff. But, I doubt (am not sure if) a system like this would have a hydraulic ram with those capabilities. I would think that it would only steer in one direction...opposite the front tires. But then again...I've been known to be wrong every so often.

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

That is freakin sweet.

Ready to sell that other 60?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have a low-pinion rear?

Either way... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I suppose you're going to have auxiliary controls like on the back of a tow-truck? Are you running a separate hydraulic pump?

Looking good! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is f'n sweet dude!!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

looks awesome but i hate to be a critic .... whats with the chrome cover ? and on the technical end , why did whomever build this axles weld all the way around the tubes ? futhermore why did they weld to the centersection ? i thought cast didnt weld very good ? unlesssss it could be nodular iron ? the steering linkage looks iffy , probly the pics fault tho ....im talking about the weld at the ram shaft end . why didnt you use ford hubs ?they are shorter, ie stick out of the wheel less ? its a ford centersection right ? well ive nitpicked enuff ! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif my truck/s will never look as good as yours , or go as fast with my 305 ! haha overall super

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    whats with the chrome cover ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously!!! why the hell go with a CHROME cover!?!? Everyone KNOWS that S.P. Yellow adds 5 hp over chrome /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Then slap a Type R emblum on the ram for anther 5 hp! don't you know anything!??! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

oh yeah , i forgot. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif i thought that since it was a dana 60 H.P. that it already has enuff horspower . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i know. i fogrive you. You also get more torque by chroming your muffler bearings /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

or you can spray paint your exhaust tips chrome.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

dont ask... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

17. 1 FN HI K5

Well what do you mean about the cover ? Whats wrong with chrome? This is not the cover im going to use i put this one on so they wouldn't f-up my good one.As for the weld around the tube's why not? He had to put new tubes in my housing i dont want them to move. The linkage is fine it has left / right threads to get the correct tow in an out.
    The hubs are off a ford 350 so i can use the large warn drive flange with 1 1/2 inch axle's <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

18. 1 FN HI K5

I went with the high pinion because i have 15 inch lift in the rear with my tranny/transfer lowered 2 inches for a not to bad of driveline angle. Now i can put the tranny/trans back to stock and with the H/P turned up i think 7 degree's up my drive angle will be fine.. <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

19. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i just dont like chrome .....as for the full weld , some Ford wanna be prerunner guy had the shop i work for fully weld the tubes and i told them not to cuz itll crack cuz there is not flex , they broke and almost came out . the weld on the linkage looks iffy. i was wondering about the hubs cuz they look kinda long , the ford set i have is really short comapared to chevy ones. well thats all for now i guess . hope i didnt hurt any feelings.

20. 1 FN HI K5

At this time the tire will hit the springs if i measured right i should have 5 inches of steering to the left and to the right.I have to get itall put together and take it to a local tire shop and get a 4 wheel alignment then take the ram to a a shop and have them put stops in the ram so i wont hit the springs..I still have a long way to go...
    The 1/2 moon's are for the u-bolt I made the rear axle the same width as the front and when the wishbone's were welded on it left no room for the u-bolt to rest around the axle tube. So the u-bolt has to wrap around the edge of the wishbone it fits perfect so in short it is so the ubolt wont slip off.