Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H Pipe? or X Pipe....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Apr 12, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Just wondering what your opinions are on these. Going to do one, we use xpipes on the race cars that i work on and they make a big difference, I have the motor otta a racer so... should i build an x pipe in?

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm putting in dual exhaust soon and I'm going to use an h-pipe. I would love to use an x-pipe but I didn't think it would fit with the transfer case in the way. If anyone has done this, how? I'd like to know too.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    Proud owner of an 88 Jimmy

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I also considered an Xpipe when I installed my exhaust system. You're right, there's no room for them, unless you wanna lose clearance. I couldn't find anyone who could (or wanted to) build them, and the ones I found were extremely expensive.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

How far back should i put either of them.. as close the headers as possible correct?

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The crossover pipes do help. Like most of you have relized the issue is where. Typicly on a car they are placed right at the tail shaft of the tranny. Well you can't do that because of the case. They are most effective the closer to the manifolds they get on the X style aslong as your not having to make any real tight bends. On Our trucks the best solution would be to use the H-pipe if you can stand the draw backs. Again the most efective point would be near the manifolds. Again due to clearance problems this will be difficult. If your truck happans to have cats then they are located about mid way down just past the case. The H pipe should be located before them to be most effective.
    As you can see it's about impossible to put them where they need to be on our trucks. Best idea I can come up with would be to install flanges and do the H pipe under the tranny. The flanges would alow you to remove the pipe if you need to service the tranny. Down side here is you going to transfer some heat to the tranny. With a big cooler it shouldn't be a problem.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper