Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H1 floor question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, Sep 28, 2004.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I had heard that the H1 hummers had holes in the floor to allow water into the cab.
    How many of these holes were there, where are they, and how big are they?
    I was thinking of putting some in my K5, but making them latchable doors to keep the "gookies" out in the winter..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Kinda depended on when they were built.

The ones that we had in my unit did not have the holes until the BFH and drill were done with em.

What we did, was locate the lowest point in the floorboard, hit it a few times with the sledge to make it slightly lower and concave, then we drilled about a 1" hole in the floor and used the plugs found in boats to seal them. Flip the latch on the plug and pull it out to instantly drain all the water back out.

Seemed like a good idea, at the time.
    Being a field artillery unit, there wasn't as much risk of seeing landmines or roadside bombs.

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I've heard stories of troops just shooting a couple of round through them if they needed to drain the cab fast enough.

If you were wanting to put drain holes in your K5, I'd suggest the foot well where your rear passengers feet are. Thats always an area where water collects.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The 95 Hummer my dad had had floor drains. They worked really well a few months ago when I sunk the damn thing out at Azusa canyon trying to pull someone out. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Damn dude, that sucks!

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The '84 4-runner I used to have had drain holes in the back seat foot-well. Used the same type of rubber grommet/plug as you would use to fill an antenna hole in the roof. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. hawkeye649

Hmm. Shooting a hole in the floor sounds dumb, and not just because of the fact it's supposed to be anti-personel mine proof.
    [​IMG]
    This is basically the set up I was thinking for the floor. I was hoping I could find some nice flush mounting hardware, but I drew what I knew... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I want it so it can go in fast, and out fast. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Want an easier way to get water out fast?

Open your door, or go doorles... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Main reason why Jeeps and Humvee's have drain holes is the large lip below the door that would hold water. The floor of a K5 is for the most part, flat.

9. hawkeye649

More like sloped outward, so anything you leave on the floor (including expensive MP3players your g/f just throws on the floor) fall out *right* where you step.
    I would like to run without door, and with. But from "movies" it looks like it takes a little while for the cab to fill up, so this should help. Also, it's harder to open your doors OUT while water is pushing in on them, no?
    It would also look bad ass. "what are these for?" "to let water in & out" /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I think I saw a show on the development of the Hummer a while back that said part of the design was to make it sink. Something about how it helped in river crossings and Marine style beach landings. Don't know if it meant drain holes in the floor or not but the concept makes sense. I guess if you wanted to go cheap some bathtub stoppers and a whole saw could be used. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Seriously though for a trail only rig that might be a decent idea.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

why do you want to flood it anyways?? Just get a submarine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif