Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H1 Rubber runflat removal. How?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Jan 21, 2006.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

How does one remove a rubber runflat from a 12 bolt H1 wheel without destroying the runflat or the tire? Does the ratchet strap installation trick work in reverse? Thanks in advance

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i thought you just unbolted the the halves and wal-ah the ire and run flat come right out.

3. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

All you need is a engine hoist and 3 straps. Lay the tire on the engine hoists legs, stap the tire to each leg to hold it down, put the 3rd strap threw the rubber runflat and hook it to your hoist. Now all you do is jack it right out.

later
    jmd

4. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

How do you get it back in?

5. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

After you cut the run flat part off then you can just push it back in, or you may have to stand on it to get it back in. but it will be alot easer than taking it out w/ the run flat still on.

later
    jmd

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The best suggestion I've seen was to use a ratchet strap (like used to strap a car on a trailer) to squeeze the runflat oval and the pull it out. Reinstallation is the same.

7. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

ratchet strap worked - kinda PITA - two people would be helpfull... Thanks for the help guys

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

This is probably the safest and most controled method of dealing with runflats. We usually use two or three ratchet straps to fold them in half, a tankers bar and some artillery grease to convince them to go inside a tire. I have had pretty good sucess using a choker type sling and a winch cable to get them in as well. It saves a lot of sweating this way. Run the wich cable through the tire and attach to sling, which is set up to choke down on the runflat that needs compressed. I just let the tire pull up against the bumper of the humvee and start working the runflat in place with a tankers bar as the sling compresses it. If anyone is wondering a tankers bar is about a 3/4" diameter, six foot long solid steel pry bar with a flat tip on one end

9. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

Dealership tools resemble a ratchet strap. Its a little of a challenge, and messy with all the lube on the runflat.

10. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

Well, the ratchet strap and a small pry bar made short work of the last 4 - I wouldnt want to do it for a living though...

What did you use for lube?