Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H1 vers H2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To my understanding the H1 was designed for the military, and the H2 is a glorified Tahoe with a different body. Is that about correct ????

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

More like a Tahoe XL ('burb). Check the wheel base and rear end-SF14B

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">H2 = $50,000 burb. It's tottaly different from the Hummer

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    a Tahoe XL ('burb).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yukon XL...Chevy doesn't offer a Tahoe XL, they kept the Suburban tag...

Brandy

5. bigjbear

you're right I forgot only GMC dumped the name.

6. silver

silver Registered Member

the H1 is so much cooler, it could actually be taken offroad. the H2, although still having offroad capabilities, looks like a luxiorious suburban with some hummer decals.

just my .02 on things
    Grant

7. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

yea i hate the H2's there so ugly and i bet my $6000 blazer would do better offroad.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Lets see the H2 has 316 hp 360 ft. lbs. of torque 4.10 gears a 2.64 t-case a final crawl ratio of 33.1 highteck traction control and four wheel dual piston brake calipers. locking rear diff.
    Not to bad for a bone stock new rig in this day and age of plush riding SUV's. Did your Blazer have any of that when it was stock or for that matter do you have any of it now. My blazer sure as hell never did. I also bet it could take some abuse to. When was the last time you heard of someone breaking the A-arm off a 3/4 ton GM truck. Sure it has CV joints but I bet they are some the best ever offerd on a production truck and probably handel that torque with no problem.
    GM spent a lot of money and time on these rigs and from what I have seen and read in the right hands they are very capable stock wheelers.

9. bigjbear

Like I said before in another post (Zak-SFA) the problem w/ the new GMs is the $. H2 looks like it could work well, good engine, binders, gears, rear-end. Bad points other than the money thing, too much wheel base &amp; IFS. One of which could be fixed w/ a check. Not much diff between swapping a D60 under an H2 or a K5, so its not bolt in /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Better yet, someone make the IFS work!

10. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Don't forget 305/70 BFG All-Terrains. I know they are all-terrinas but thats way better then what most rigs get from the factory and they almost measure a true 33 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Evan

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was watching one of these H2's today at my train station. This thing handled tight turns and curbs like nothing I've ever seen...

I did look at the solid rear axle and drop my jaw... That to me was one of the Hummer's trademarks, heavy duty four wheel IS...

12. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

You guys ever see the tow hook loops on the H2? Pretty shnazzy. Yeah the cost is outrageous, but so is the H1. We all know we COULD build more capable wheelers for half that coin, but nobody gives GM props for even building the thing in the first place. Believe me, it took some major doing to get that thing past the crusty old dinosaurs we got in charge.(Bob Lutz not included).

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Personally, I'm not doubting it's abilities yet. But it took me a lonnnnnng time to get over how ugly H1 is (enough to desire one myself at least) and recognize it as the badass vehicle it is. Looking at H2, I see the same thing I see when I look at a Mercedes benz; Ugly as sin, but they scream "Money" so people who have no idea what thier abilities are will want them for the wrong reasons...

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I read a small write up in a mag on these and they are built on the Burb platform which mean they probably use the same parts as the burb! Why would they use the same platform, engine chassis etc and then design or use different parts? Basiscally it is a burb with a different body.

15. cpwreaper

cpwreaper Registered Member

Heres my two cents. I think the H1 is much cooler than the H2. The h2 two is probally capable offroad but there is really no truck that comes from the factory with big meats beadlocks ( i think?) and can take a ton of offroad abuse. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

16. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

here's a pic of a h2 pulling out a h1. looks like the mud hole was a little much for the h1. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

ric

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The H2 uses the same basic drivetrain as the newer 3/4 ton trucks, and I believe a coil spring rear suspension like the newer burbs. However there are differences, most notable are the 35" tires, locking rear diff, extra skidplating, better approach and departure angle, etc.... I'm sure it would run circles around any stock K5, Tahoe, pickup etc...and probably most of the trucks on this board.....
    I do agree that most of the people who will buy them will not use them off-road, but that's not the trucks fault. Also, the H1 would make a pretty crappy daily driver with the underpowered engine and cramped and noisy interior.

18. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah i think the h2 is a hummmer pretty much by name only, granted it probably is the most off road capable stock suv's on the market right now, but it sure comes at a price.
    and of course all of the h2s i've seen were at grocery stores or on the morning commute into dc, so i doubt most will ever take advantage of the off road capabilities that it has for a stocker.
    if i werent dirt poor i'd love to have one to tow my k5 around when it breaks down.