Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H1s on 44s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RGV72BLAZER, May 25, 2006.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i've been told that in order to run H1s on 44s that i would have to widen the wheel because the runflat just won't work...any thoughts from those running H1s

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Non of us are running H1s I have seen 44s put on a narrow rim though, it was a 8" wide rim. Looked kind of goofy, but worked just fine

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

it fits fine. little bit of crowning in the tread, but its fine.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I have 44 boggers on a set of H1's, makes em tall and skinny... Yes there is an issue with the run flats, the bead area of a tsl is thicker than what ever uncle sam used, they end up with the side wall bound up on the runflat before the rim halfs and o-rings are sealed. Some people have been narrowing the runflats, by just pulling the protective strip off the side and cutting them down a little each side, then tap the strip back on.

5. RGV72BLAZER

...well we mounted an H1 today on a 44" Bogger without the runflat...any problems with running the H1 without the runflat? i'll be ordering new o rings tomorrow...btw, it does look pretty skinny on the wheel...lol...

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Probably no true issue, but it would be just like installing the tires on any other 16.5 rim as you lose the beadlock function.

7. RGV72BLAZER

but isn't that what the studs and nuts do? hold the bead onto the tire? i thought the runflat was for when you completely run out of air and it'll keep the tire round? also i just can't picture how the runflat could possibly function in a 44...

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

the run flat is the beadlock as well on H1 rims, it clamps the tire bead from the inside against the rim and then all that gets torqued in place by the studs that hold the rim halves together

9. RGV72BLAZER

so then what modifications do i need to do to the H1s in order to use the runflats on a 44" Bogger?

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't run 44's but you may need to find more info on this procedure

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ryanstrucking (his username is close to that) runs 44's on h1 beadlocks. They either 1 need to be widened or 2 the run flat needs to be narrowed. (the run flat feature isnt what attracts everyone to these rims, its the beadlock. most loose the runflat and run a nylon beadlock. usa 6x6 has em and so does stazworks...like $25 per wheel

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

ryans are widened. he posted pics of them in pieces somewhere he used 2 sets of 12 stud H1 rims to make 1 set of wide rims, I'm pretty sure.

Important note

That stock beadlock runflat insert is made of magnesium. do not torch cut it and be very careful with a grinder. You do not want any part of a magnesium fire in your garage

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Not all stock runflats are mag. Some are rubber.

Willyswanter ran 44's on his H1's and didn't have a problem. Of course he is runnning the PVC style beadlock. Those probably have a little more play in them then the stock set-up.

14. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

OK then, you don't have to worry about a magnesium fire with rubber inserts. I've only ever seen the 2 piece magnesium stock inserts.

When I got mine way back when, there were still grease packs taped to the runflats. to cool them if they were ever run on a flat tire.

15. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

You do not have to "widen" the wheel, or "narrow" the runflat/beadlock.

Install the runflat/beadlock in tire.

Place a few bricks or something under the wheel shell to give it a little lift.

Lay tire on to shell

Start all of the bolts, then IMPACT them down using an alternating sequence. (You want to ensure that the ring goes down evenl)

No I am not talking out of my A$$, as I have ran 44" Boggers on Hummers before.

Rob

16. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Which wheels do you have Yield? The 8 bolt ones are far easier to seal then the 12 bolt ones. If there is a small gap between the 2 halves then you will have an air leak. I had a problem with my 12 bolt wheels once because of it.:doah: