Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H2 Can't Hack It

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmd, Sep 28, 2003.

1. jmd

jmd Registered Member

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: H2 Can\'t Hack It

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ooops

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

whats that thing cost 60,000?

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yeah about 60k,but they are made for a diferent purpose than the H1 hummer.yuppies,ect.its basically a tahoe/suburban chassis.its a nice truck,but its not designed to be an off road warrior like the H-1,which is surely the most capeable 4x4 ever from a dealership lot,all things considered.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

REPOST!

j

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.....turn that thing around buddy, Starbucks is the OTHER way! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

1. REPOST
    2. They are $46,000 or a couple grand more than a loaded 'burb (which does not come stock w/ 35s)
    3. If you have wheeled w/ any IFS GM this vid is no supprise.
    4. "H-1,which is surely the most capeable 4x4 ever from a dealership lot,all things considered." You can't be serious /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    4. "H-1,which is surely the most capeable 4x4 ever from a dealership lot,all things considered." You can't be serious

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious what YOU consider to be the most capable civilian-issue street-legal 4x4. Please explain why, too.

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

my mom wants one of these pos's now. Im gonna have to show her this video and maybe she will change her mind

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Unimog
    Land Rover Defender D90
    Jeep Rubicon
    Early Bronco
    K-series Chevy's
    Land Cruiser

Hummer is cool, but so damn heavy and wide. Makes my Jimmy look like a toyota. H1's break easily enough too...

Rene

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll answer if you tell me how come everytime I say I don't like the HMMWV someone asks me that same "?" (I'm tired of answering it, but if you answer mine I'll answer yours)

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i don't think there is much question that Mogs or the Rubicon are superior 4x4s in stock form. Personally, my all time fav stock vehicle is...

[​IMG]

the oshkosh HET... but Im prolly the only one who thinks so. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif its got really good approach/departure angles, a gigantic 500 hp desiel, can tow a tank, comes with the giant michelin tires we all want stock, is 8 wheel drive, has CTIS, has 4 wheel steering, 7.36:1 gear ratio'd rockwell-made axles, fiberglass fenders, front/rear tow eyes, 250 galln fuel tank, tranny and t-case temp guages, 4 batteries, a 140 amp alt, 1,470 ft/lbs of torque at 1200 rpm, 2.5:1 tcase, two 55,000 pound winches etc etc. what more could you ask for?

cog may be a little high, but I think if a shop took one of these monsters, ditched the 2 middle axles and shortened the wheelbase a lil' it'd be the most bad azz 4x4 ever. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

OUCH! That sucks dude! Well, the Oshkosh is cool. I can't even imagine the torque with something with a 500hp deisel and can tow a tank!

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

The only oshkosh HET is there heavier than a semi rig, but they can tow a 65 ton Abram main battle tank. Also they are wider than most roads. When they drive here on base they take up the whole lane and there driver side tire is on or over there lane line. But they are a awesome rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll answer if you tell me how come everytime I say I don't like the HMMWV someone asks me that same "?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's because not everyone can be as 4x4 savvy as you(not trying to sound insulting, BTW). You can include me in that group- the only reason I own a K5 is because we have mighty nasty winters up here and I need to have safe family vehicle to get us around. I also like to visit the odd backcountry lake and most of the roads to said lakes aren't nice.

I know a couple of guys in the valley who have Hummers and I have heard nothing bad about their rigs. I have also seen them in action in some BIG snow and they were unstoppable. Even my K5 couldn't follow them.

So please fill me in. Like I said, I'm not a trail guy and probably won't be until I can free up the K5. That won't happen until I can afford another family vehicle.

16. tRustyK5

You can put less than $5K into your truck and take it places a H1 could only dream of going...

$5k into a Hummer gets you a CD player and a full tank of fuel... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

17. Can Can

Thanks for the list, Rene. Here's my take on it(with a few questions of course /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Unimog- How much does one of those suckers cost? Can you actually find them on a dealer lot? And how realistic is it to expect a guy to drive one of those around like you can a Hummer?

Land Rover- I wasn't aware that they actually made a decent trail rig. Or is it just a yuppie SUV that people have modified for trail use. The only Land Rovers I'm familiar with are the old 4-banger jobbies that look like they're from WW2. Extremely low gearing but not enough jam in the engine to pull itself over any terrain that's too extreme. Also not a good highway vehicle.

Jeep Rubicon- I've heard this name mentioned a few times but have yet to see one(I don't know why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). Are you telling me that Jeep finally put out a product that doesn't need a GM drivetrain to make it trail worthy? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Early Bronco/K-series GM/Landcruiser- I was talking about vehicles available on the market today, Rene. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess I need to do some research, and I understand that it is definitely too wide for some uses, but $ for $ I'm under the impression that the Hummer is the most *practical* heavy-duty 4x4 available to the general public today. Once again, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. REPOST
    2. They are $46,000 or a couple grand more than a loaded 'burb (which does not come stock w/ 35s)
    3. If you have wheeled w/ any IFS GM this vid is no supprise.
    4. "H-1,which is surely the most capeable 4x4 ever from a dealership lot,all things considered." You can't be serious /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    ok,what tops the H1 in stock form,for a civilian non-heavy duty vehicle?

19. tRustyK5

My initial response was to this (not your reply...)

[ QUOTE ]
    but its not designed to be an off road warrior like the H-1,which is surely the most capeable 4x4 ever from a dealership lot,all things considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most capable 4x4 ever...

My list includes some of the best from way back all in my humble opinion. By capable I don't factor in comfort, street manners or the number of cupholders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The Land Rover at it's best is outfitted with the little 4 banger diesel and will go through some amazing [darn].

For new Land Rover junk check out the Camel Trophey coverage. Every vehicle is a stock(ish) Discovery and they put them through stuff the H1 would definitely have problems with.

UniMog?? Not even sure where to buy a new one, I guess a Mercedes dealer could hook you up I suppose. I do know a few guys that drive them often and one guy in particular that has driven his daily for the last 23 years. Comfort...prolly not, ease of entry...prolly bad, capable...damn straight!

The Jeep Rubicon looks just like the TJ, so you may have seen one or two without realizing. Pretty capable rig (just not really large enough for my needs)

For new and capable I'd lean towards the Land Rovers...4.2 liter V-8 power, lockers, suptle suspension etc etc.

GM doesn't make a thing worth wheeling anymore
    Ford...slightly better with the F-super duty's
    Dodge...same deal with the SFA full size pick-ups

Rene

20. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the list, Rene. Here's my take on it(with a few questions of course /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Unimog- How much does one of those suckers cost? Can you actually find them on a dealer lot? And how realistic is it to expect a guy to drive one of those around like you can a Hummer?

Jeep Rubicon- I've heard this name mentioned a few times but have yet to see one(I don't know why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). Are you telling me that Jeep finally put out a product that doesn't need a GM drivetrain to make it trail worthy? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are actually a few guys in Calgary that have Unimogs and drive them in the city and off road.
    And the Rubicon is out I'm not sure all the specs but 4:1 low range, dual lockers, some skidplates not sure whatelse they offer besides 31 MTRs.
    I don't know I don't think the Rubicon would be able to go where a hummer could because of the clearance but I have never even came close to driving either.