Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H4 headlight conversion done!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Mar 31, 2004.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I still have to hook up the high beam set of lights but i'm really pleased with how easy it was.. plus i got some daytime running lights/city lights hooked up /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.. will probably change the color to red but here's what it looks like now!! I can't wait till it gets dark so i can adjust them and see how much an improvement they make /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif before
    after - city lights
    After

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That looks sharp! Those are definitely brighter than my old halogens. What all is entailed in changing to H4's? Is it just a matter of changing the bulbs out or is there more to it?

Kris

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

well i just ordered the 4x6.5in of JC Whitney, they basically screw in and out but i had to bend the light sockets on the truck a little so the new headlights fit real snug, on the lights it also says only use a 55/60 bulb, i think cuz there kinda cheap and will melt the inside with anything else bigger/hotter, i also got the normal h4 bulbs not the hyper blue ones. the blue ones would reflect the whole headlight blue like my fog lights do.. anyways, yea just a plug and play type of deal, cept i have to change the high beam set of lights to a 3 prong plug instead of 2..

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pics of the install? So this a composite style headlight like on newer vehicles then? Has a case with a bulb that goes in the back?!?

Kris

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yup, just like that, so when my lights burn out i just replace the bulb..
    no pics of the install, basically 4 screws, that's it.. i'm going out to take some night shots and drive around for a while.. they'll be on my webshots a little later..

6. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I putting mine in my truck this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You replace the Sealed beam unit with a H4 unit, which allows you to replace bulbs instead of the whole sealed beam. I did it on mine to retrofit HID's Xenon lights in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I putting mine in my truck this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If your doing it to the '89, where in the world did you find the conversion? i've been looking and waiting for someone to make one for the 89-91 style headlights.

And please don't tell me Germany either /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

just figured out the stock plug is wired wrong, you need to cut it and swap the ground wire with the low beam wire.. the city lights look sweet at night /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif i hooked them up to my off-road lights for now but soon they will have a switch on my dash /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif take a look!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif hmmm.. whatcha think about purple? it looks also like some nozzle lights on the hood, that's just reflection from the glare.. that's all the colored lights i'm gonna have though, don't wanna be lookin like a ricer. Has anyone put the "blue dots" in the taillights? just a thought..

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So did you notice a difference of low beam brightness after the swap? Also, what brand did you use? Do you have any pics of one H4 conversion in and one regular headlight, if not is there a way you can take apic of that?

Thanks

11. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

before

after

lights on

Also installing an HID conversion kit I got from a wrecked Caddy. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /picture/sraid83/p604c0f99766f33bc3b4cbc7031e7f5ce/fada0053.jpg on this server.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, speakinig of conversions, BlazeKraze did one on his, but he used a different vehicles headlight system, i believe it was from a Cavalier?
    I was looking at another car the other day and was wondering, it seems like it should fit, the headlight system off of the Caprice, the ones with the composite lights, from say around 90-91 or so? Anybody ever seen this done? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

How much brighter are they over your stock head lights?

15. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, speakinig of conversions, BlazeKraze did one on his, but he used a different vehicles headlight system, i believe it was from a Cavalier?
    I was looking at another car the other day and was wondering, it seems like it should fit, the headlight system off of the Caprice, the ones with the composite lights, from say around 90-91 or so? Anybody ever seen this done? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Celebrity lights fit perfectly, Cavalier are too small and Caprice are too wide. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

there way brighter than my stock headlights.. and i only have a 55/60 normal bulb in there.. i might get a hyper white one or a bigger wattage but i'm pretty happy with what i got now, i don't have a before or after with the headlights on.. didn't think of that but you can take a pic of yours and compare it with mine.. pics up in my webshots now..

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

55/60 are the "legal" ones, anything brighter are technically illegal for normal street use. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

18. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea but alot of people run the 90/100 and even the 100/130 on the street and just point them down a little more..

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why are they purple? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] [​IMG] We have these at 4 wheel parts. Give me a call at the Norcross store /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif