Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

H4 Plastic light upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ned Kelly, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

These lights have a glass lens, but thermoplastic reflector:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200mm-H6054-H4-HID-EURO-DIAMOND-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHTS-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ013QQitemZ230068282340QQtcZphoto

Will the plastic reflectors melt with 55/100watt bulbs? I had some Hella all glass one's but they cracked after a ice cold water crossing when my headlights were on. Guess thermal shock cracked the glass lenses. Thought I'd try these, unless you guys think I shouldn't.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did you contact the manufacurer of the old lights.... Sometimes they will replace them as long as they weren't in an accedent or miss used...

3. Ned Kelly

Never thought about that. I've had them on for 4yrs or so, but it's worth a try.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

They shouldn't melt but that comes down to how they were manufactured. Might Google the manufacturer's name and see what comes up.

What I definately don't like is the cheap price but excessive shipping. $6 lights and $25 shipping. $31 isn't a bad price so why not be upfront about it? I wonder how anyone could conceive this as being a good business practice? :mad:

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bought a set of h4 conversion bulbs off of Ebay almost 2 years ago now. Glass lense with plastic reflector. Mine have a mount for an extra H3 fog light bulb in the reflector also. Running 55/60w H4's with 100w H3 fogs and I've yet to have any meltdown. That's with running relays to the lights for maximum power also.

I'd think that as long as you don't use the super high wattage (and not DOT legal) bulbs they should be ok. I wasn't sure on mine at first either, but checking them after a few runs I found no signs of meltdown. (I don't run the 100w fogs all the time on the street because they are so bright, so that limits the heat too)

6. Ned Kelly

7. ZooMad75

Very similar. They didn't replace my headlight buckets though. I do like them as it allows me to have the extra light source without mounting a set of lights to the bumper. They do throw the light down the road well.

Only problem is where the reflector shape is bulged on the back side for the driving light and the parking light on the top. These lights will not fit stock headlight buckets. I grabbed another pair of buckets to cut up to fit. [​IMG]

8. ZooMad75

9. Ned Kelly

ZooMad,
    Great info, nice link to your project. Where did you get your lights? Same price - $100 like in the link I posted? Just wondering if anyone else sells these lights.

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got a pair of Bosch 200mm H4 conversion headlights in my DD 96 GMC, they have a steel reflector, and a glass ECE pattern lense face. I've been running 85/145 watt PIAA drivers in them for several months now, and I'm nothing short of very happy with them. I paid about 100 bucks Canadian for both headlights, and a pair of stock 55 / 60 watt drivers. The PIAA drivers were about 140 bucks for the pair, and I paid about 50 bucks on building a new headlight relay equipped harness that is capable of handling the high wattage of the new drivers.

I actually ran a set in my 77 Stepside as well, except with the stock 55 / 60 watt drivers. I feel that the round headlights produced a better light pattern, and light up the ditches better than the newer 200mm rectangular headlights.

Both of these Bosch kits had the light pattern scribed into the lense, with a smooth reflector. So, when I tried an HID kit, it totally messed the light pattern up something horrible.

However, those lenses that you've got listed on ebay would probally work quite well with HID being a projector style lense. If I can find a set of those 200mm rectangular porjector lenses with a steel reflector, and a smooth, glass lense up front at an affordable price, I'll buy them for my 96 GMC and run the HID kit in it instead, and use the PIAAs in my 80 GMC. HID is waaay brighter than a filament bulb, and only draw about 35 amps of power, regardless of the beam. If the projector lenses are able to handle the light from the HID drivers, and aim it properly, the ECE lenses all but eliminate any glare that makes other driver's really angry, but still lights up the ditches really well. SAE HID projectors definitely suck compared to ECE, SAE simply allows for way too much glare, and with an HID kit, that becomes very apparant, and makes people really mad, lol

11. ZooMad75

I got therm off of ebay. like I said it was a couple of years ago so I can't rememeber the sellers name. I do know this. I didn't come even close to $100 for them. I think even with shipping I was under $40 for the pair.

I havent seen any like mine up on ebay for a while, but if you keep searching they will come up. They are decent for $40 but $100 is highway robbery. If I was to spend $100 for H4 housings I would have bought real Hella's or Cibies. The wife couldn't justify $140 (with bulbs) on new lights when the truck cost me $500.

12. Ned Kelly

ZooMad,
    Thanks. I'll wait and see what comes up. Yeah, $100 was abit too pricey for me too unless they were 'amazing' - but that would be one of those too good to be true products then. :rolleyes: