Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hacker Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Jan 10, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I have been getting numerous emails supposedly from friends of mine lately. They are all over 118k and have no attachments. My Yahoo spam buster sends them to my BULK mailbox and I just delete them. I know that these friends of mine did not send huge text files to me.

The question is, are these some sort of email bombs or what? Are they an attempt to send me a virus via someone elses address book like in Outlook Express? And I would like to know if I could open one or two of them in Yahoo and be saved by their virus scanner just to see what's there? Or should I just continue to delete them? Any knowledgable answers would be appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

chances are its some kind of vb script or piece of code wrapped up in the email itself. i know that in outlook i can set it to warn me when an email trys to launch a script, i can then delete it before it runs...outlook express may be the same.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If your on web-based email (yahoo, hotmail types), you dont have to worry about it too much. Chances are its not coming from friends, its coming from a script on a friends computer. You should warn them that there is email coming from there machine. Setting the settings correctly in Outlook is critical for PC based email. I just turned of previews and disabled java and active X scripts in Outlook and limited them in Internet Explorer.
    Spend a few minutes and run through the Tools, Internet options in IE. Make sure you have all the Windows updates from Microsoft also that can help avoid old stuff that resurfaces from unprotected/un-updated machines! I beleive mcafee offers free screening for PC's ona trial basis.

Good luck, Jeremiah

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yes I use a web based email system. Yahoo... And it's because of this type of thing that I use it. I don't have Outlook Express and wouldn't use it if I did. I even get these types of emails with the sender listed as ME! Go figure?