Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hackett, longwater, and metburry

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GORRILLA, May 20, 2003.

1. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

hey, I just read they are considering a permenant closure on these 3 trails. Could we not get together and contact the FS for a planned replanting of the area's in question for exchange of keeping them open? For those of you that never have run them their a decent place to have a relaxing day or 2. what would it take to get a couple of approved planters to get these kept open? Is 20 bucks a person going to kill ya? when are we going to be proactive instead of reactive? how many users does this site have in Colorado, how many out of state users who run Colorado trails?
    What's your freedom worth?
    Sometimes you have to fight for what you want.
    Show them that we pay the bills.
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Currently, you can walk the area, just no vehicles. In all honesty, closing them for now isn't a bad idea. It is estimated that it will take 80 years to return to the pre-Hayman Fire look. As much as I would love to hit these trails, by closing them, it will help ensure they come back a little sooner.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

True that, but I just wanted to be able to beat Hackett rock, It's beat me 2 times before And I finally got my lockers in!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    Gorrilla

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The real problem is that the entire area got completely barbecued during the Hayman fire last summer. Wheelin' up there right now would suck, as there is nothing but ashes for miles. It smells really bad and that stuff finds its way into everything and is very abrasive. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've driven up in there as far as the Forest Service allows. The mountain sides look like nuclear winter. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

man, I didn't think about that, damn that's depressing.
    Thanks tho.
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's really ugly all around there. The trees are just blackened sticks now. No leaves to be seen for miles. The fire burned so hot that it created some type of waxy substance on the ground that repels water. They're very concerned about flash floods and mudslides in that area if there's any hard rain up there this spring/summer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The combination of no plants to slow down the runoff, coupled with the soils lack of ability to absorb much water means there could be some ugly stuff happening up that way still. That dumba$$ really screwed up some beautiful country. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

thanks harryh3, I know this doesn't help any, but i heard that the CANADIAN is the only place that beat the fresh water law in Texas.
    Gorrilla
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif