Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hacking a 72 top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Feb 21, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I am looking at a 72, but I prefer the later k5's tops with the roof permanently over the driver/pass. area, but also like the idea of it being a full convertable. Has anyone ever taken an extra 72ish top and cut it from where the glass begins, then fiberglassed it back shut too accomplish this? Down here in texas with out a top like that you would fry sitting out in the sun like that for too long.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There used to be a kit top available that did exactly that. No idea who made it though, and I doubt it's still available. I have seen two or three of them over the years on first Gen's.

rene

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I just found a thread on another site, dating back to 2003. Turns out apparently some guy in ft. worth does them (where i live). I have to be approved for membership before I can ask questions on it though :(. Where can I find extra first gen tops to cut up?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=67043

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's a problem, they're not the easiest tops to find from what I understand.

Why not just run a bikini top? Way easier, cheaper, looks as cool and does the same job...

Rene

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Glasstite....

The Glasstite Truck Cap company used to make "Half Cab" conversion tops for K5's years ago..I nearly bought one for the 72 I had back around 1986 or so,but they wanted 500+ bucks even back then!..I decided to keep my money instead...I've seen a few 72's with the steel roof and back wall of a pickup truck made into a home built one that looked and worked pretty good..might be a cheaper option for you than fiberglass,and stronger too..:crazy: