Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hacking doors question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, May 10, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right. Plan on pulling my extra set of doors sometime this week and hack them. I have seen a few set on here before that I like but I just have one question for anyone that has done it. How did you fill the space between outer and the inner portion of the door. I have looked at some of that foam stuff and then last night I was laying in bed and thought of putting chicken wire in and covering it with maybe fiberglass but never worked with any fiberglass. Let me know what you have done. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've seen people leave extra metal on the outside and bend it over the gap and weld them up. Something like this is what I was planning.

3. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

take the part of the door you hack off and weld it between the skins, would be stronger than 'glass especially if you us it as a step or beat the door in on rocks or trees or whatever.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I made a set a while back, but sold them before I completely finished them. PICS

What I did was take some blue painters tape and tape of the section I wanted to remove. Used the angle grinder and sawzall to cut out the metal. The I braced the inner and outermetal using some angle iron and flat stock so the door would be fairly solid. I took the sheet metal I cut out and made filler pieces to finish it off. The expand-a-foam type stuff would also work well to make the cavity solid, put you'd probably want to put it in after welding the doors up. My pics are incomplete and I started to describe the process in the pics but never finished /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There's an orange vehicle wandering around the forums somewhere with some REALLY nicely crafted doors but I don't remember who it is...

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

yes, it's a full-vert, but 81+ corners and grille... white cage and accents, right?

I was wondering whose that is, as I wanna do my doors just like that when I grow up!

-- A

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Oh, I'm sure that if you are talking about some really nicely crafted ones you must be talking about mine... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

Whatever you do, don't make them like mine. They suck. I just cut off the back side and then folded the front sheetmetal over and welded it down. They suck. Mine are so smashed in that they hardly swing open now. They have no structure left when you build them like I did, and all they have to do is think about rubbing a tree and they start to bend in. I am going to make new ones, but I am just going to use some 2x4 steel tube and make a good strong frame and cover it w/ some sheetmetal and paint it to match the truck.