Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HACKING for 42s!???? ***1/2 DONE W/PICS!!!***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 17, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<font color="red">EDIT: *** SEE BOTTOM FOR NEW PICS! ***</font>

I drew the lines on the fender today to start cutting... but I realized all the stuff behind the fenders that needs to be cut in order to meet the same line on the outer fender. The wheel wells have to leave all together... a TON of support members inside the fender...

I forget who made these pics, but this is the template I am cutting by:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I see that they removed the inner wells in the front. I can't really tell what else is really needing to be, *ahem* "trimmed" to make those lines work.

To all out there with 42s: How did you cut your fenders? How bad did you have to hack and whack your fenders? Let me know before I destroy my perfectly good fenders... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks...

-Dan

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Re: HACKING (aka trimming) for 42s!????

Those pics were made by yunit. I have the same pics printed out and going to do the same cutting this weekend in preparation for my 41" Michelin XLs I'm going to be running hopefully by the end of the month. I talked to him and he said you can leave the inner fenderwell by making releif cuts at the top of the inner fender where it meets the outside fender. That's what I'm going to try and do so I can still keep my inner fenders. Still see the mud a little on the trails I run. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Post pics when your done.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Dude, like your ideas for trimming, but PLEASE! Go and buy some
    jackstands!!!! I want to see your blazer out on the trail, not read that it fell on you here! I use to use concrete blocks, and had one give way on me putting a 6" lift. I'm only telling you this as a friend &amp; fellow fourwheeler, and not to condem you.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Those are pics of someone elses rig..... not his. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, those are yunits, it looks like he removed the inner fenders. How much lift and what size tires is he running?

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what is your lift?

BTW, all the graphing in the world won't prepare you. it is different for everyone.

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Those are pics of someone elses rig..... not his. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god! That really looks scary!

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I cut about that much on mine, the rear is no prob, its the front firewall that always hits. I removed my inner fenders as well.

[​IMG]

9. KRAZIE87K5

With the inner fenders gone, how much CRAP do you get in the engine bay oif you find yerself in some mud??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Dan

10. KRAZIE87K5

I've got a tired 6" lift, with a 1" body lift on ORD poly body bushings Zakk... how bad do you think I will have to hack the body up?

-Dan

11. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    I talked to him (YUNIT) and he said you can leave the inner fenderwell by making releif cuts at the top of the inner fender where it meets the outside fender. That's what I'm going to try and do so I can still keep my inner fenders. Still see the mud a little on the trails I run. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Relief cuts where the inner meets the outer? I don't get it... can anyone help me here? YUNIT! Whats up man! I want to keep the inner fenders because I see A LOT of mud, and don't want to worry about having that crap all over my engine and electronics. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Dan

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd imagine you'd get tons of mud in the engine bay without the inners, in fact I think that's what they're designed for /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, Even with inners I get tons of mud in there with 31's...

13. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

This is yunit's picture of relief cuts . I don't know how to explain them, but it's in the curves, you can't just hammer everything flat so you make the cuts and then you can bend the tabs to fit. Hope this helps.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Damn ears won't stop ringing.

Right now the truck is on it's axles and I am ordering some big ass jack stands this week since the whole truck is being taken apart soon.

In the picture I was running a 4" lift/2" body with 38.5x14.5x15 tsl/sx's, soon to be 6" suspension lift with 42's, front axle moved forward 2" and the rear moved back 3".

Ok, the trick to this type of trimming is to cut the outer skin off first and remove it. As for the inner skin, you will have to measure it so you can get enough to fold behind the outer skin and support it. Did that make sense? Last you will have to make cuts so the inner skin can fold up, since the inner skin has a curve to it.

If anyone is scared to do this, swing by and I will do it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry if I sound like a tart, but I am so tired right now. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

More pics with the trimming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka

Are you sure in the pic there is a 2in body lift? Its just I don't see it, appears to be no body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Sorry, in the pictures with the measurements there is a 2" body lift, the pictures that I posted were with a 4" suspension and 38.5's.

I knew I was tired and missed something.

17. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Peter,

Did you use a sawzall? Or what? Your lines look very clean! Nice rig!

Mike

18. KRAZIE87K5

I talked to Peter yesterday, and he actually used an air reciprocating saw. I don't have one of those, but he gave me the idea to use a jig saw with a sheet metal blade. I've already started cutting, and I am VERY impressed with the clean cuts I have so far, how stable the saw is compared to the jerky sawzall, and the jigsaw is real good with making turns thru the arches in the lines! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope that helps! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

19. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dan! Sounds like a great idea, and I do own a jigsaw. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

20. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

On the fronts do you have to trim the inner "skin" of the fender?? Im not talking about the inner fender but the inner part of the outer fender