Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hacking the fenders...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Just thought I'd post this for people wanting to run larger than 35" tires with minimal lift:

With my 6" lift, 36" Swampers and sway bar removed, I had some major tire rub when the suspension flexed. Even with the fender trimmed back to the fender well it still hit the tire. If I had BFG's (35x12.5), it would probably be ok but the 36x14.5 Swampers didn't have enough room. This was chewing up my tires pretty bad and now I have several cuts on the lugs and the top sidewall. The sound is horrible when this happens and a couple times, it actually stopped my K5 like I hit the brakes. After looking how Steve Watson of ORD cut his, I decided to do the same. I cut about a foot off the rear portion of the fender well and also cut out some of the inner fender. This allowed me to make a gradual cut on the outer fender to allow plenty of tire room. With the fender cut even more, I can't use the stock trim. They do make some "L" shape vinyl molding that matches the newer Blazer/Sub wheel trim so I may get that someday to hide the cut on the fender. I think, 38's might even fit now! I used a Sawzall and a fine metal blade. A cut-off disk should also work. Lots of tape on the painted part helps against scratching (I used duct tape). Draw a line before you cut. I also chopped the front part of the front fender and the rear portion of the rear fender. The rear was optional since I had a few trail dings there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics here:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/fenders

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hell that looks good to me! I am going to have to get the sawzall oout tonight! Not to copy but I have been running into the same problems and been looking for a solution. I have some nasty cuts in my TSL's, one is even a little scary.

Nice pics!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Looks really good shawn. On the back did you cut it off below the trim all the way back to the bumper?

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Shawn...You have cajones made from steel my man. that is a sweet paintjob to do that to. Man it looks good, but I'd be shaking all over cutting it up. I think I'll cut mine the same way tho, since mine were old beat up fenders anyway. I couldn't get the passenger one to fit up last night, so I put the top 3 bolts in and then welded the inner fender to the outer. Don't need balls of steel to hack that combo up, haha. Thanks for the pics, it's got the wheels turning in my mind now. Haven't actually run my truck yet but it looks like it'll hit on compression. For those you you guys that haven't seen my truck, attached is a pic. It's a '79 with 4" tuff country front, 4" shackle flip and 50% 36x12.5x16 Swamper Radials for now.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Shawn

The tire cuts is what made me do it.

Here's the rear fender.
    [​IMG]

It would be considered below the trim.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

My sawzall is warming up for a meet with my front fenders tonight! I would think that you'd want to plug off the hole in the bottom of you inner fender now. Anyone ever tell you your truck looks way too nice? Well IT DOES!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Shawn,

A guy on the Offroad mailing list had the revolvers on the back of his CJ and he was going down a hill when he said he hit the brakes and his Revolvers extended and he rolled. Ever have this type of experience?(I can tell you never rolled, but ever feel them extend on a hill when you hit the brakes?)

Thanks

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

what do you think would fit with 4" lift and fenders cut like that?

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

9. realsquash

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shawn, are those the Velvet Ride Shackles I spy in that picture?

Your opinions of them?

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had to trim mine back as well (4" lift 35x12.5's) but I used a plasma cutter from work [​IMG] [​IMG]. way quicker than a sawzall and a nice clean job. (my boss thought I was nuts)[​IMG]

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

12. Shawn

Thanks for the comments guys.

Laketex- No steel cajones here,just felt sorry for that poor Swamper[​IMG] I have no trouble hacking the body, just have to keep it away from trees!

Realsquash-I may cut some tin and put that in the crack but for now, I'll just keep it clean and painted (no comment on the clean part). If only it had MPFI installed, it would be almost nice as yours! [​IMG] BFG's may rub a little.

Mike- Had no problems going down a steep hill yet but the wheel base may be a factor. For the revolvers to extend like that, you would have to be on a wall. When I hit the brakes (I mean hard), they stay put.

84K5- Should be able to fit 36x14.5 with no problems and 38's with just a little rub.

BlazzinOR- These are Revolvers. There's an article on http://www.off-road.com/chevy

I may have to get one of those plasma cutters [​IMG]

And my boss wonders why I can't get any work done...[​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

13. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Shawn,It still looks awsome Brother.I just think it's funny that people used to always tell you to get it dirty.Then you go and start hackin' sheetmetal for functionality(is that a word?).The guys at my work gave me the goofy looks and questions too when I started cuttin'.Had to get the 15" wide SXs to fit somehow!

14. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Looks good dude. Hey do me a favor, measure from the bottom corner of your door to the inside edge of the cut and tell me how wide it is please. Looks like about 5 inches. I have mine hacked out, but I dont think its quite that far in the front. The rear I made a template of the front and hacked them out, had to weld in some plate at the top corners because of the gap. I can post some pics if you want. My inner fender I did not cut up, I was possibley going to 36" swampers next so I may have to do some more hacking and welding. You need to bring that thing down for the Dixie Run.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

15. Shawn

Thanks CBlazer.

Glenn- I'll have to measure it tonight and let you know. I'd love to bring it down in your neck of woods but sure would hate the drive. I'm sure it would be worth every mile!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

16. realsquash

Well I got one side whacked out last night, just like yours, except I took a bit more out near the 3 bolts that hold the inner fender to the cab/outer fender.

My F250 shock mounts will be here in a week, $9/each (friend at Ford dealer).

Now I can't decide, bob the longbox or make it a shortbox????

Squash

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Everyone has a shortbed. I've always thought a bobbed longbed would be super sweet. You'd have advantages and disadvantages on everything, but you'd kick some hiney in Moab! Good luck to you either way!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

18. Shawn

Yeah, I failed to mention you should cut a little higher on the inner fenderwell. My tire just barely touched the edge and bent the metal (you can see it in the pic). I'd cut right below that top bolt and come across then down so the other bolt next to the engine is still holding it on.

You never see a bobbed Chevy. Would look trick.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

19. realsquash

That's what I did, I cut right below the large bolt that holds the inner fender to the cab (w/o cutting the cab) and cut right up to the bottom of the upper smaller bolt that holds the inner to the outer. This is actually harder than it appears at first, The sawzall is large and akward to manuever in there.

Bobbed, that's my angle for the time being. I would still like maybe a foot shorter wheelbase.

Squash

20. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Awww hell, come on, it couldnt be more than a thousand miles or so. Hell thats just a few tanks of gas (OUCH) and some real seat time behind the old K5.

Glenn

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com