Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had a 8 month old Optima batt crap out on me.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Oct 30, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Dunno what caused it but took it back to auto parts store and the put some tests on it and it came back 900amps, 200more than its suppose to have, he said it probably has one of the cells shorted out. This was the RED TOP Optima. So, they replaced it under warranty and I went ahead and paid the diff. for the YELLOW top. Its what I shouldve gotten in the first place. I knew something was up with it.

I went down the other day and it was DEAD, I mean DEAD DEAD, dome lights were barely lit. I did a volt test and it was aroun 9volts. Luckily ive got dual batts and jus hit the button to start the truck. My Alternator was charging both batts fine. With truck running I had 14.7 volts. I drove it for an hour, came home, turned it off and it would read 12.4 volts supposedly that is only 60% charged. Here is a chart someone gave me:

12.7 - 13 v = 100%
    12.6 - 12.5v = 80%
    12.3 - 12.4v = 60%

etc. etc. etc.

So anyways, that was interesting, thought id jus share. :D

2. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

badmix

I recently purchased a two yellow tops. One for the fishing boat and one for the ski boat. The first time I used one of them, it discharged just fine. Was very please with how long I could run the big bait tank with it. Went to charge it back up and it would not take a charge. Returned it to the store two days after the purchase. They tested it and said it was bad. It was replaced and I have had no trouble since. A fellow CK5er works at this store. He said that they have had a bunch of returns on Opitmas in the past year or so. He said they return about 4 out of 10. He had gone through three in a year and gave up on them.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're not alone. I bought two reds at the same time for a dual battery setup, one was bad, returned it, got another one. A year later, the other one went bad. They're both sitting on the workbench now. When the buggy needs batteries, the exide orbitals are gonna get the nod.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

12.6v is fully charged on an automotive battery.

5. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

optimas are no longer good batteries, they were bought out and their internals nickle and dime'd to make more profit. Last study I read said that sears die hard gold batteries were the best built.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If that's true, it's a damn shame. :(

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

WalMart Ever Start:thumb:

8. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Any other suggestions

I'm curious if there are any other recommended batteries out there. I was going to buy a optmia last week. Thankfully after reading this tread, I'm glad I didn't. I had the same problem with sears batteries years ago so I would buy from them again. I guess I'll go ac delco.

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've had good luck with Autozone's Duralast Gold batteries.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm not so sure about this. I worked at JCI (Johnson Controls, the company that bought Optima about 6 years ago) for a small spell, and my wife's father is an engineer there (not in the battery group though).
    There's been no nickle diming, that anyone can report of. Alot of money has been spent on distribution network for the Optima, but the battery itself has remained basically unchanged. The biggest problem with the Optima's, is people don't recognize their unique charging requirments, and aot of people cook their batteries. If you read the instructions that come with an OPtima battery (each battery has it's own set of requirments) , there are very specific charging requirments. Even the military overlooked it, there's a report out there where JCI sent several engineers to look at optima batteries where crappying out after only a few months of service, and the conclusion was they were cooking them with low qaulity alternators with little or no current limiting characteristics, and cheap dolly chargers that were throwing 30-50 amps into the thing.
    The biggest optima takes a maximum 10amps charging, and requires it be reduced to a trickle,(3amps) when the battery gets to a certain voltage.
    So, bottom line is, read the instructions. :deal: , and your Optima will provide you with many many years of dependible service.

11. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

Don't get the side post delco's they are junk. I have replaced the delco battery twice in each of the past three new vehicles I have had. Every one of them lasted about a year and started leaking out the posts. They ruined the battery trays. In my current silverado the anti lock brakes have stopped working. I think it is due to the battery leaking all over the control unit which is located just under the battery. Any vehicle I get now the first thing I do is yank the delco out and replace it with a gel battery.

12. mikey_d05

So you're saying I should go out and buy a $$$ alternator/charging system after I just spent quite a bit on the batteries in the first place? Sorry, but that really sucks.

13. hammermachine

asking alot

I agree asking someone who just invested $150+ on a battery and then having to shell out more bucks for a charging system is way too much.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

RE AC Delco: Do a internet search. I know there is some kind of class action suit against AC delco because of the problem you described. Many people have had problems similar to yours where the leaking AC Delco runis paint and important componets causing hundreds of dollars in repairs which AC Delco wont cover.. AC delco used to be a good battery but they are junk now IIRC AC delco are now made by Exide.

15. mikey_d05

Alright, so if Exide and optima are out, can anyone recommend a good sealed battery that won't break the bank?

16. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

In the past 2 years ive killed 4 optima red tops and i think this will be the last time i accept a replacement.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Like I said before Walmart Everstart. Their Maxx seires batteries are made by the same people who make optima. Johnson Controlls.
    Their cheaper ones are made by Exide and Ghould.
    Wally world's warente is good. There are walmarts everywhere.
    But just because a battery has an American companies name on it doesn't mean they dont import them. Exide imports a lot of batteries from overseas.
    Some Good ol AC Delco come from Hong Kong.

18. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Just don't buy the cheap $30 reman alternator. That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying you need the special $400 180amp alternator, a stock alternator is just fine, as long as it's working properly. The cheap reman one's tend not to replace the regulating components, and the cheap garage chargers don't have any taper effect. BTW, a cheap alternator will cook any battery, the Optima's are just a little more sensitive to it.

I've have Dual Optima Red tops in my K2500 for 4 years now, not a lick of trouble, red top in the '70 Impala, red top in my C10 (2years old), and a D31 Yellow top for the K5. The K5 isn't completed yet, but I've not had a lick of trouble with any Optima battery I've owned.

19. hammermachine

I was looking for a replacement for my DD 2500HD battery. The one in there came with the truck back in 03 and I don't trust batteries over 4 years old. So your saying my stock altenator if working right should be fine for an optima.

20. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i,ve had a yellow top for about a year and a half and i love it. i left my lights on for about half an hr. one time and i noticed it as i walked up to my truck, i thought "oh great!" i got in and it fired right off.
    they forgot to pull the stickers off when i bought it also, and i pulled the round sticker off the side that tells month and year. guess if i have trouble i'll pull the stickers to say it 6 months old.
    talking of alternators, i have a 96 tahoe and my alternator is starting to make a sound kinda like a tree frog as it cycles i guess, because its not constant, so when it finally goes out the local starter alternator shop can't just rebuild it for me? whats this your saying about the remaned alts?