Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had a ride/drive in an '02 Duramax yesterday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Sep 5, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My older brother decided to upgrade from his 92 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 that had the 6.5 turbo diesel and a 5 spd tranny ..Found an '02 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab shortbed at a used car lot in nice shape with low mileage,new tires,and about every option for 22 grand--about 3 grand less than any others in a bit worse shape at any other places he looked!..what a nice truck!

I was impressed at how quiet and powerful the Duramax is!..it is a torque monster compared to my 6.2,or even his turbo'd 6.5 in his other truck!...GM certainly has been doing their homework the past 10 years!--and the Allison tranny is impressive as well...he towed his friends 67 Chevelle 396 SS to New England Dragway last saturday--he said it was hard to tell anything was behind him,and had to back off the throttle even uphill,when he noticed it was pulling the hill at 75 mph like nothing! :eek1: :bow: :bow:

He sold his "old" truck for 3500 bucks to another friend..it was a decent truck with new paint,but rust was starting to overtake the underside..I think his friend got a good deal,and he plans to have it sandblsted and paint the undercarriage..

It might be 2017 before I can afford a used Duramax!--but I would love to own one with the Allison tranny someday..if we still have diesel fuel by then! :doah: :crazy: