Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had to call a wrecker!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Sep 6, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Well, we had to use a little ingenuity today. No engine hoist was high enough, so we called a wrecker and had him use the crane on the back to lift my motor out of my old blazer. I'm getting ready to build it and drop it in my new truck. Well, i'm gonna put a cam in it, and a carburetor and an intake. got all three ready to go. Also going to bead blast the valve covers, and all the brackets and pulleys. valve covers red, brackets black, pulleys red, and the headers (already posted) are red. I think it's gonna run good and look sick /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Anyone else ever used the ole' wrecker as an engine hoist trick?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, not for cars, but on boats for ages... now we use a forktruck with a custom boom...

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone else ever used the ole' wrecker as an engine hoist trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use my electric hoist, it's about 13 feet off the ground.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    well, not for cars, but on boats for ages

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep!

You ain't seen a pain in the ass until you need to yank the engine from a 30-45' Lake Michigan fishing boat. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah man thats how we do it everytime at the shop I work at. Its way to easy not too..

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone else ever used the ole' wrecker as an engine hoist trick?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I use a Cat powerd 99 GMC 6500 with a Century wrecker body /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

I used an old dove tail dodge with a pto winch that was used to set propane tanks...worked out good.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Also going to bead blast the valve covers

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be the biggest mistake you ever make if you do that. There are baffles in most valve covers and the bead blast glass can and will get trapped in them and come out after the engine gets nice and warm and then i am sure you can guess what happens next?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have used the crane in the flatbed of my 74 GMC to pull many motors,also the A-frame out in the yard made from an old city playground swingset out of schedule 40 3 inch pipe and a hand winch.Cant forget the chain falls that is now part of the "shade tree" oak out back too,but its all grown in now,dont think I could park under it now!.
    We ran into your problem on lifted trucks at the shop--we used to take the tires off the front and set it on wood blocks under the rotors,once we put the engine crane in the bed of another pickup truck,that was pretty scary--then we discovered we could use one of the arms of the lift to pull engines /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifnever thought of that until someone told us we must be stupid not to use the lift! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I had a buddy help me with his wrecker to yank the engines out of 2 CUCV's and 1 farm truck. Took about 2 hours to do all 3 trucks with the wrecker. I had already done one with the engine hoist and it took about 8 hours and alot more pissed off.