Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

had to call the police on a friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Oct 20, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Tonight my friend was taken to jail. The guy is a good guy but has a lot of family issues. We talked a pistol out of his mouth once already. Tonight he seemed that he was havin an ok time. Me and some friends were hangin out at the river behind my house. He took off to drive and cut some donuts before we could stop him our knew what he was doing. He got stuck and I pulled him out. Now looking at it maybe I shouldnt have. Anyway I got him out and he took off. We thought he drove down the river to the other party a few hundred yards away. Instead he drove home and got a 9mm and a .270. He came back and discharged 5 rounds from the pistol into the riverbed. After he discharged the rounds he dropped the pistol. I picked it up and cleared the weapon. At this point we hauled butt back to the house, not knowing he had a rifle. None of us wanted any part in it. Maybe I made another mistake there but right now I really dont know. After we got to the house he showed up. I took his keys. He wondered around for awhile. We were talkin and didnt see where he went. He came around from the truck with a rifle. I grabbed the rifle and cleared it as well. He walked away. We then searched his car and took out 3 more kinves and some ammo. A friend of mine called the police who arrived shortly after. The guy walked into my house after I took the rifle but I didnt know this. The officer and I walked into the house so I could give her the pistol and I saw him. I took the officer into my room and told her that the guy in the recliner was him and then gave her the pistol. She cuffed and then frisked him in my living room and then put him in a sqad car. Another officer arrived on location and talked to me and then the others about what happened. While he was talking to us, the guy admitted to the other officer that he was upset over family issues. The 2 officers got our info and talked to us. They said it was the right thing for us to have called them. I am inclined to belive them on that but I really hope that he will be ok and get the help he needs. After the cops left I started thinking that instead of him firing those rounds into the river, that he could have hurt my friends and then himself. That bothers me.

I am not one to give up on people. I'm really not sure what to do after the police let him out tomorrow of the next couple of days. I know for a fact that a counsler is gointo come down and talke with him. Its really up to the counsler what happens to him at this point. He may get out tommorrow and he may not. But im not sure how to address him when he does get out. I really dont know what to do.

Thanks yall for this venue to get my feelings out because with my friends I'm always the one who knows what to do and they look to me for guideance in the situation. I just need to prepair myself to be there for them no matter what hanppens.

Thanks again yall.

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Is this guy REALLY worth your time (and safety)? Meaning, is he a life long friend? Or just a person you casually know? This guy is a SERIOUS threat to himself as well as others. Is he really worth it? I guess what I'm saying comes from the rule 'choose your battles wisely'.
    I have a life-long buddy (30 years!!) who is a recovering alcoholic. It wasn't until 10 years ago that I told him if he continues to drink I won't hang around him because I'll just help perpetuate his condition. It sucks but it's called 'tough-love'.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That's a heck of a story. Glad nobody was hurt, this time. Get him some help, or move. Replace his ammo with blanks. Yeah, is this just a roomate, or a good friend? What kind of "family problems" is he having. Like wife and kids problems, or parents or what?

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

You did the right thing in calling the police.. if it hadn't ended there, who knows how things would've ended up.

When you have contact with him again, sit him down and tell him why you did what you did, and push him to get professional help.. regardless of what his life is like, what he did was abusive and life threatening to you..

People like that always seem to put everyone else in jepoardy ( either physically or emotionally) when they have a bad day, and that's unacceptable.

Also, you need to make some hard choices as to the level of involvement you want with him, because if you make saving him your crusade, you'll likely end up having the life sucked out of you. Guys like him don't understand reciprocating relationships.

on another note, iif you are thinking of cutting ties, don't make yourself feel guilty because you think he might kill himself if you aren't there for him.. if he means to do that, you won't be able to stop him anyway.

Tom

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

true true true. ive been in a couple suicide intervention training classes with the police, and the big thing that has stuck in my head is that you will never talk someone into or out of suicide....but you can listen them out of it.

he probably does need to know how yall feel, but by by now he has most likely decided whether or not he's gonna do it.

what's the deal with his family? are they helping?

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You did the right thing. There is a good chance that rather than a criminal booking, they took him for psychiatric evaluation. Most states give the police the option to determine whether or not the person is suicidal and then they can opt to put a hold on them and have them evaluated. Sometimes that is a wake up call for the person, sometimes it is not. Once they are introduced into the mental health system though, usually gun ownership goes out the window.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ha ha, I'm trying hard to disagree with you, but I can't...

8. Desert Rat

**** disturber.............:D

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Mannnn a pissed off person shooting a loaded gun definately needs to have the cops visit, friend or not...

11. hunterguy86

Sorry that first post was really incoherent. I wrote that at 5 AM after being up all day.

I belive this is what happened. The arresting officers said that there werent going to be any criminal charges but that it was just going to be a psychiatric evaluation and that they may need to keep him several days. Another friend of mine is friends with the police chief, so he is going to try and find stuff out today.

I consider this guy a good friend and I really want to help him, but its gotten to the point that I cant anymore. I am not trained to deal with these situations. And, I really dont want a guy blasting rounds off around my friends. Next time it could be one of them that gets hurt by accident.

This is another thing I was worried about but yall are right about this. If hes gonna do it, he will, no matter how much I try and help.

His family problems are things he has been dealing with for a few years now. I dont belive his family is in any condition to help. His mom and his aunt are part of the reason he is in this state.

I know a night or two in jail wont fix the issue but maybe it will help a little bit.

I think as his friend all I can do is suggest some counciling and go to his place and remove any other weapons that he may have.

Thanks for all the support yall. This is one of the reasons I like this place. Perfect strangers are ready and willing to listen and offer help. Thanks.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Your first post had me thinking get as far away from this guy as possible, now it sounds like you should try and help but keep an eye on the situation. Just keep him away from guns and booze and let him know you are not happy when he starts acting goofy...

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Was there alcohol or drugs involved that night?

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That's a good trail to take. There'll be holes and rocks along the trail, so make sure your equipped with a good winch.

15. Desert Rat

One thing to keep in mind on the subject of possible suicide is this. Many people, not all but many, talk about suicide but the reality is, they aren't ready to do it yet. Somebody who constantly talks about killing themselves is usually reaching out for help hoping that somebody will take notice and pay attention to them. In some cases they will never commit suicide and just use the term to gain attention they wouldn't normally get. In other cases they really have thought about it but don't want to do it. So, they throw it out there so people can talk them out of it, and maybe give them some help. The ones who are really serious about killing themselves usually quit talking and just do it. The is many times preceded by a period where they seem happy, content, and at peace with themselves. This is why so many people interviewed later say "he seemed happy, I don't know what could have cause it?". It is because once the final decision has been made, the torment stops. Sounds like this guy wants attention. Problem is, that is a high maintenance friend. Unless you are really close and want to stay friends, it is time to cut your losses. If you choose to help, be prepared for a lot of time and work. You also run the risk though of going with him should he finally make that final decision.

As for this guy being in jail, most psychiatric bookings are not into jail. They are usually sent to a hospital type setting with doctors and psychiatrists. They are interviewed and then given referrals for when they get out to continue some type of counseling. Whether he chooses to avail himself of the services will determine just how committed he is to getting his **** together.

16. hunterguy86

Yes he was drunk. He didnt have many beers with us but I dont know how many he had when he was at the bar.

I'm just glad that he didnt get a ticket or anything. Thats the last thing he needs right now. I will do what I can to help. I aint the giving up type. Life is like ridin a horse. You get thrown but then you saddle back up and go again. I belive that you got to keep tryin to matter what. For me givin up is NOT an option. I feel that what we did is the best thing for him. I will be here for him as much as I can but mainly I will encourage professional help. I dont give up but I know the extent to take things.

Thanks again for everything yall.

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Given your latest post, If he does get help find out with who and make an appoinment to see them yourself. They probably can't tell you exactly what's going on with him, but they can help you with doing the right things and it will get you on the same page as whatever the treatment is.