Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had to change the water pump on my 96 Dodge Ram and...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by TX Mudder, May 29, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm always bitching about how hard newer vehicles are to work on. You can't get to anything without removing 20 other things, you need 10 different computers just to figure out what's wrong, etc.
    You know, I should probably stop bitching. I changed the water pump and it wasn't much different than that on my old Chevy 350. I had to replace the starter once and that is very similar as well. I got to looking at the repair manual for it and the 360, which is what I have, is very similar to a Chevy 350 in design.

So I need to stop bitching about newer vehicles or is my experience abnormal?
    -- Mike

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

All vehicles have their stuff that just sucks to work on but newer ones seem to have a lot more of those tight spot bolts that need like ratcheting wrenches and all.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Small block Mopar engines are a copy of a SBC, and Dodge is always a few years behind in incorporating any new technology, so there ya go. Just like working on an old Blazer.

4. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

the 318 in my Dakota is one of the easiest engines to work on that I ever had. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Try changing out the starter on a 63 scout 80. There are only 2 bolts. One is cake, the other one takes a 5/8 stubby and an act of God.