Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had to get towed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by el bob, Sep 11, 2005.

1. el bob

el bob Registered Member

Hey guys,

I drove my 1994 Chevy Silverado 2500 Extended Cab Shortbed to work yesterday (yes, work on Saturday) with a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 in tow on a 2300lb trailer. The commute was a short 2-3 miles and everything went fine. After working in the machine shop (as general help) all day, I came out to try and fire up the truck and drive home with the trailer and Tahoe.

Side note: My truck has 170k on original engine and transmission and I have to crank for 2-3 full seconds for the engine to catch and start up.

This time, however, the truck never caught. It just cranked for fifteen seconds until I turned off the ignition.

I returned this morning with a AAA Tow Truck and had my truck towed home. I got to talking with the tow truck driver and he had the idea that the problem might be the fuel pump. After towing home, he pulled out a three foot pipe and turned the keys in my truck to run but not cranking. He then wacked the fuel tank a couple of times and turned the key to start. The truck started. He said "fuel pump," I gave him some extra cash for the help and he left.

After turning the truck off, it wouldn't start again. I tried kicking the fuel tank (didn't have a pipe with me) and then cranking like the tow truck driver did. The truck made a noise unlike the regular "cranking but not starting" but still didn't start. I decided not to push my luck and to do some research first.

I just bought the truck in May with 168k on the clock so I don't know when the fuel pump was last replaced. I have "full" service records from the previous owner but nothing mentions a fuel pump in the last 100k miles. It's possible that it was replaced but a receipt was not kept, or it is possible that it in fact hasn't been done in 100k + miles.

I recently helped replaced a fuel pump on a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne 2500 Regular Cab Longbed but can't say I know the procedure very well.

Is this a repair that a weekend mechanic can do with a full set of tools? If not, how much would it cost for a shop to replace it? Anyone in the Los Angeles area willing to help me out? I'll buy you dinner and help wherever possible.

Alternatively, do you guys think that maybe something else is wrong and that the fuel pump may be just fine?

Robert

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get the tool to disconect the fuel ines and drop the tank and change it.not a hard job just takes a little while to do.hope you didnt just fill the tank up.they can be very heavy if full.also change your fue pump relay and fuel filter atthe same time.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Iif over 80k on a fuel pump then thats it . after that you are running on extra luck. average life if around 80-90k .

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

yeah pretty easy job... just buy a 12 pack and find a buddy who knows his stuff...

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

technically easy, just takes time. Drain the tank if you can. Dont take short cuts, you will only make your headache bigger.

6. el bob

el bob Registered Member

Just wanted to say thanks guys. I bought a replacement fuel pump and fuel pump filter for $48.21 from my local parts supplier and did the job from lunch time until dinner time. Truck now starts like a charm.

I can't wait to call my local shop tomorrow and get a quote on what it would have cost! :-D

Thanks again,

Robert

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Probally see it costing between 2 and 3 hundred :)