Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had to put our dog down today.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5james, Nov 10, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Well, it's been a rough few days around here. On Sunday, when I cam home from the Charger's game, my wife and her friend were leaving for church and our little 7 month old Chihuahua went running after them to try to go. My wife was already in the car so the little guy tried to sneak in through the passenger door and jumped in right when her friend was closing the door. He was out instantly and started bleeding from his nose and mouth. We rushed him to the pet hospital and they got him stabilized but he had some severe head trauma and the prognosis didn't look good. To make a long story short he put up a fight for a few days but today we went to see him and he hadn't improved any and wasn't responding to us at all so the Vet, my wife and I decided it was time.

Sorry to bring you guys down but I had to get it out. I think I'm taking it harder than my wife. For the short 7 months we had him he was one of the best dogs I've ever had.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear it man, even after that little time you can get real attached. Hope the family's OK (don't know if you have kids) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the sentiments. Yeah, it's a good thing we don't have kids or it would be even worse. After dealing with this I'm not sure I'm cut out to have kids. I'm taking it this hard and it's just a dog, I couldn't even imagine if it was my child that got hurt.

4. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I feel for you man. I have had to have a dog put down and it hurt me just as bad as a death in the family.

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry to hear of your loss /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Dogs are the greatest. Very sorry to hear about the little guy /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Poor thing ours trys the same sh!t, got to watch her every move...Sory doood...

8. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'm feeling a little better about it now that I've had time to think about it. Earlier I had a lot of guilt like what if we would have given him one more day, but we didn't want to see him suffer anymore. It's still pretty tough though.

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

very sorry to hear bro.AND you would be a good daddy. if you feel that way about your puppy,you would be a great dad. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

sorry man, we had a cat in a situation similar to that a couple years ago, it was our first pet together and when it passed away it hit us like a ton of bricks. stay strong

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I held my dog Boomer in my arms when we put him down. I've lost a lot of friends and family in the past few years, and none of it hurt like losing Boomer. Sorry for you loss. I held off for four years on getting a new dog, because I wasn't sure I wanted to go through that again, but I finally got me a new dog because 15 years of happiness far outweighs the sorrow at the end.

Sorry about your loss.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel.You can grow to love a dog almost as much as your own children I had to put my Lab down a while back. She was part of our family for over 14 years. My kids grew up with her. She went everywhere with us. It was a sad day that borught tears to this old pirate's eyes.

13. muddbudd72

muddbudd72 Registered Member

sorry to hear that about your little pal. hang in there it will get better. i lost my basset hound after 12 yrs and cried like a baby(i was 38) and when i see a picture of him i still get a little sad.

14. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Thanks, everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

We just lost our cat 2 weeks ago. The toughest part is when some strange event takes place that causes the accident and they dont recover. Its going to be hard for awhile but it will get easier as time goes by.

16. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. You did the right thing at the right time. At least you tried your best to help it recover.

I've had to put down 2 dogs over my lifetime, and it never seems like the right thing to do until after it's done, because we all want to hope for a turnaround.

When I was 23, my dad and I put down bear, an irish setter - chesapeake bay retriever mix. I got him when I was 9. the poor thing couldn't walk anymore, so we took him to the vet, and I just rubbed his ears until he closed his eyes. the vet injected him, and bear opened his eyes, licked me, and then he was gone. I'll take that as a "thank you"... truthfully, I waited too long to have him put down. As he got worse, we carpeted the kitchen so he could walk, and I carried him up and down the steps. I realized I was just being selfish, and trying to hold on to a good childhood memory was really hurting him, so the decision was made. At least I have had my dogs for a lot of years, you had to say goodbye after such a short time. I feel for ya.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Thanks. He was keeping himself alive on his own but he just stopped responding to us and didn't want to open his eyes anymore. I'm glad the vet let us be there too. My wife held him while I pet him. He alread had an IV so the vet just gave him the shot in there. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about it man. We lost one of our boys (champ stud terrier)last Father's Day. It was one of the hardest things our family went through in a very long time. Everytime I see his pic, I still get choked up. He was my buddy.. I sympathize with your loss.