Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Had to use Airplane Stripper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Jan 22, 2003.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Well I finally had to bring out the big guns. After pulling up my carpert so I could Herculine my whole truck. The truck was full of glue. I thought this was going to be easy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So after trying Acetone which did nothing but take the shine off the glue. I went to Autozone and bought the Stripper. I had never used this stuff before but it works great. It took everything down to the bare metal. I highly recommened it. I had to apply it twice to get all the glue and paint off. Then I washed the whole truck out. I used a big fan to dry the truck. Now I am going to go back and sand it one more time. Hope to have it finished by Friday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Great...good to hear you found something that works well. I know there have been posts before asking how to get that adhesive off...and the main answer is "scrape, scrape, scrape." So, this stuff is called Airplane Stripper? How much $$$ was it for the amount you used?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Be careful with that stuff. Some of it will strip your skin off too. I was using the comercial stuff stipping a car with a buddy and got some on my pants Started burnin me. Strpped down to my skivies real quick to get away from that stuff. To this day I still have a scare from that stuff.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I though "Airplane Stripper" was a new premium service for the really long flights...sure would beat the in flight movie!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Aircraft (airplane?0 Stripper works the nuts! 'Just used it on my peeling hood, to prep for paint. Just don't get it on rubber or fiberglass /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I think it cost about $30 for a gallon (shoulda bought a quart can).

6. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I think the exact name is Airplane Stripper. They sell at Autozone for 19.99 plus tax. I had to use the whole gallon. Make sure you use solvent resistant gloves. I did it with shorts and a shirt sleve shirt. I did get a little on me at times but I had a bucket of water ready to wash it off. I had my top on while I applied it. I thought it was going to be real strong but it wasn't bad at all.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anybody else use any other brands? How about that POR-15 stripper that they sell? I've been real happy with their paints..

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Actually it's
    AIRCRAFT STRIPPER!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Did you read the WARNINGS on the back....
    It causes CANCER IN LABRATORY ANIMALS.....
    When I use the stuff....I put-it-on....then run like Hell!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I guess you're OK as long as you're not a labarotory animal then.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

10. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

What ever it's called it works great. I am not to worried about getting cancer. I don't use it on a daily basis. The air we breathe daily is worse.

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL...
    Well....over the past 20 years...I've played with that stuff alot...
    Do I qualify as a "LAB RAT"??!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif