Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hah, poor Heepers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K05Aggie, Dec 5, 2002.

1. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I just read a little on the PBB in the Jeep forum just to see if I could figure out the "Heep thing". With their little 4 bangers they are talking about running 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38 axle ratios just to turn 35" tires. I couldn't help but laugh a little. I still don't get the Heep thing.

2. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

they fit everywhere. not everyone needs a bunch of axle breakin torque. but i do agree, its pretty pathetic. who still has a 4cyl in there heep on the PBB /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Yeah heeps are interesting. But we here at ck5 have the best of both worlds, the full sized trucks that run rampit and my luv! My luv has yet to get into a situaition where i break something or get stuck (i have only had 1 flat and some mild body damage) and i show jeeps up all the time. So i realy dont get the heep thing, but my mom has a 01 wrangler sport and it has never seen off road use. Stuff like that makes me mad, but anywho...

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey I got one for ya. My dad has a bone stock(except paint, rims and tires) '50 CJ3A. All it has is a little F-head 4cyl. I dare you to keep up with it on the trail.
    A Jeep weigh's half as much as a full size Blazer so it don't need a big engine. Most people run 4.11's in a Blazer to turn 35's. So why would 4.88's-5.38's be bad for a 4 cyl.

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am a heep fan, not necisarily just cj, yj, tj. The good ones are the old chrokee chiefs. Almost full width, torquie 360, narrow body, and relatively cheep. The thing with jeeps is that every bit of running gear just gets swapped for GM, so all your getting is a body style and wheel base.

6. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

im with corey, i have a 44 ford GPW, and my dad has a 44 willys MB, and a 53 kaiser M38A1. and we ride with the western maine mountian jeepers. those boys know how to drive and take there stock military jeeps any where and sometimes more places than i could take my K-5.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Whats to laugh at?The crawl ratio would be badass.

4 bangers aint bad.I wheel with a guy in a Toyota sometimes.With a 22R,5spd,dual t cases,5.13s,35-12.5s,and 22mpg,who cares about big HP /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Yes, Yes poor Heepers. I dare you to follow any one of these Jeeps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a ZR2 with us, granted not a fullsize, but still carries the Blazer name:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't dare taking my K5 where the Jeep goes.

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

That bottom picture of the blazer doesnt even belong in here......

Both the K5 and the Jeep(s) have their own respectable place in the wheelin world.

As for bashing other name brands of trucks be it ford, chevy, dodge, or jeep, whatever. Remember IT isnt the brand of truck, its whos turning the wrench. Everytime i see some Dumbass "Calvin pissing on some brand of truck" sticker, I just laugh. Name brand wars are a joke, If you take them seriously, then so are you. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hell if you look here we have people asking if they can fit 33's under a stock blazer and what gear ratios to run with what tires. Whats the difference?

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I like my hybrid K5/YJ just fine!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And i'd take it up that crack...nature's own bodywork, ahhhhh, it just satisfies.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have nothing against Jeeps and I have pondered buying one from time to time.

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I wanna old CJ5.... maybe next year I will get one and make it into a dd with a mild lift and some 33's.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but my mom has a 01 wrangler sport and it has never seen off road use. Stuff like that makes me mad

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy at work has a 02 wrangler that everyone now calls "Jessie" because his jeep was orginally ordered by a girl named Jessica. He's too scared to take it down some of the trails we go on with a lot of paint scratching limbs etc but follows along everywhere else he can.

Jeep's have their own place in the world for sure. I sort of like them but definately enjoy the room K5's have more.

To each their own.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont mind jeeps..friend joe behind my house..who i go to school with has a 94 wrangler . all stock..pretty nice. i just rather have a k5 cuase i like a little more meat on my bones! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Jeep tough with Chevy stuff!

Most hardcore jeeps you see on the trails have Chevy running gear! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Mike

17. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i tend to agree whith the coment above. It dosnt realy matter what brand of truck it is (all of them have their stupid engineering moments) its all in who takes care of them (im even thinking of building up a ford). One of the guys i know wheels a stock 94 jeep xj (thats a grand cheokee if i remeber right) and it goes alot of places and the v-8 in that thing will move! And the guys at 4wheel offroad said it best the 90s jeeps were skitzos, great on road and better off.

18. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I wasn't trying to question the Jeep's ability, I considered them, too when looking for my K5. They were just too small for me, coming off a F250 4X4, 8' bed, extended cab, powerstroke. It's just that those ratios seem extreme to me. It's just a matter of perspective.
    I just did a little calculation and it appears that Jeeps actually have a better power to weight ratio than Blazers.

Jeep
    3000lbs / 120hp = 25lbs/hp

Blazer
    5500lbs / 200hp = 27.5lbs/hp

Granted, they don't have as flat a torque curve as our trucks, but does that really warrant a one point change in gearing? To each his own.

19. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I agree with Silver84K5, what I don't get is why everyone is on the "I hate Jeeps and people who drive" them bandwagon. IMO, its whatever works, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but people, try to keep open minded here.

Don't get me wrong here, I love my K5, and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I have a friend that has a YJ with 38.5SX's, HP Dana44F, Dana 60R with a Klune and 1/4 eleptical springs. That thing is an animal, and I'm sure it could go farther than my K5 on the rocks.

If the K5 is the end-all-be-all offroad vehicle, why are so many Jeeps on the trail? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

And those who are pro's of rockcrawling with /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif really dont have much of a K5 left /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Also, yes I have experience driving and wheeling CJ-7's, I liked the openess and how nimble they were on the trial, but I love the stability, power, room and the many other things my Jimmy has. So, go ahead, burn me at the steak becasue of what I have said /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

20. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey Sample, where did you get those pics? It looks like Raw Deal.......