Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hail damage=junk yard hood- How do I prep it ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, May 8, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Ladies and Gents,
    I have a very nice junk yard hood here in my basement and I need to sand it and prime it before putting it on the truck (or painting it then on the truck). So my question is, What type of sandpaper do i use ? Is this a wet sand process ? Do i use a block or a mechanical sander ? What do i prime it with ? Mulitple layers of primer ?(i'll be using a paint gun) What primer will keep it safe if i put it on the truck before it's painted ? Thanks for any comments ! By the way, any tips for removing hail damage from the roof ?

HAIL STORMS SUCK !!
    Blake

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Depending on what shape the paint is in, you should be able to block sand it with 240 grit paper, or use a D/A for speed. Clean it before priming with Marin Senour Tec-Clean or equivalent (Or just wipe it down with reducer). I'd use 2 coats of Primer/Surfacer, followed by wet sanding with 600 grit paper. If you've got the capability, I'd go ahead and paint it before installing it.

How bad is your hail damage? If it's just paint damge/chips, you can probably fill them with a quality scratch putty (Evercoat is the best IMO), and repaint it.

[​IMG]

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pugsley,
    D/A??? (DOH!)
    What kind of buffing/polishing wheel do you use? Speed, rand, etc...

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I use the D/A with the original Blue Point backing pad, and 220 grit 3M Stikit Gold discs. It provides fast feathering of old paint with no gouging. I don't throttle it at all, just hook it to the compressor and go

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Pugsley on 05/08/01 09:46 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I have heard that dry ice will take out small dings (like hail dents) you let the truck sit in the sun until the metal gets good and warm and then run the dry ice over the dings and it pops them out I don't know if it works but it is supposed to... if you do it wear thick rubber gloves

hey Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pugsley - sorry, I don't know what D/A is.... I need something good because I am taking wet/dry sandpaper
    to my hood to remove peeling clearcoat. Thanks again.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

DA is a dual action hand held sander...Takes of paint real fast.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>