Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hail Storm 1, Kayline 0 - Soft Top owners check this out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, May 9, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Just returned from vacation to find several huge holes in my Kayline Fast Trac Soft Top. I guess we had one heck of a hail storm while I was gone and there are softball sized holes in the side glass as well as a few holes in the fabric. Just an update for those who own soft tops and do not garage your K5.

The K5 is the least of my worries, our house has major hail damage too! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

That Sucks, do you have Full Cov on your K5?

3. Mudzer

I dont have full coverage on the K5 but the policy does cover hail damage! I think I will change my policy though. My K5 is worth more than my Bimmer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

That sucks, You don't have to live in the k5 so hope the house can be fixed quickly.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks big time /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ouch, how you are able to get everything fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How old was your top? Typically soft tops will actually respond fairly well to hail as their "give" helps absorb some of the energy reducing the shock. Typically a soft top will endure well unless the hail has jagged edges (which most doesn't).

We got hit by a hail storm at the beginning of April. The hail wasn't too big (nothing larger than ping pong size), but it came down hard for 30 minutes straight. Ended up with between 2 and 3 inches on the ground. My STC Fast Trac top (less than a month old at the time) survived beautifully as did the factory soft top on my Firebird. The metal, on the other hand, didn't do so well. A little over $3k damage to the two autos.

As for our house, our roof is shot, but no broken windows or what not.

Better than the hail storm we had back in '90. That one totalled three new cars and a diesel pusher motorhome. Damage to the house was so extensive (only 1 year old at the time) that we had to move out for 6 months as they did a sheetrock off remodel. Total for that one was around $450k of damage to our property. I hope yours didn't compare to that!

8. Mudzer

Did they cancel your insurance after that? We have no idea what the damage estimate is right now.

I know the cost of a new top though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Damn that SUCKS! how bad was the sheet metal beat up?
    My truck parks under a 50ft tall magnolia. Hopefully that will slow it down before it gets to the truck. Doesn't fit in the garage. Neither does our Airstream. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thankfully we don't get hail like tha here. Biggest I have seen since I lived here was dime size. It hailed a couple days ago here and it was smaller then a pea.

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

What was a small crack in my back window is now a large hole after driving through that mess.

11. Mudzer

The sheetmetal is already beat up! Not quite like yours though! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as I can see, the sheetmetad did not receive any dents. I was just driving my car at lunch and looked into the side rearview mirror and saw a crack. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I suppose this was what your top was up against:
    [​IMG]
    I picked these out of the lawn about twenty minutes after the worst was over on Sunday. You could actually see small craters in the ground where these hit! Biggest ones were about 3 inch diameter.

13. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

what is your soft top made of? pleather or fabric.

14. Mudzer

We were away when it happened so they were long since melted away (darned suckers!)

My top is made of the pleather fabric. I am ordering new fabric for my top without the quarter windows. I will be ordering it in the black denim with dark tint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gives me a damned good excuse to get a new top!

STC makes the Fast Trac top now and offers it in many combos which helps: Complete top; Fabric Only; Windows Only; and Hardware kits. That definately helps, I will not have to order a complete top to save money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If anyone wants a swiss cheese Kayline Fast Trac, let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Such a derogatory term for a perfectly 'sellable' product Neil. I believe the correct verbage would be "Custom flow through ventilation" no extra charge of course./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry to hear about all the damage...I hope the insurance company treats you good!

Rene

16. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

Mudzer, what part of Missouri you live in? I was about 5 miles from one of the twisters on Sunday (291 Highway and the Missouri River). I could hear the wind pretty good from here. The hail near my house wasn't too bad. I'm just glad no twisters came hear or I would've been s.o.l. don't have full coverage insurance on my 88 Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. Mudzer

I am in Columbia, MO

18. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Did you get your new top yet? Just curious to see what it looks like on the truck. I'm debating between the 3 & 5 window version

19. Mudzer

I havent ordered my new top yet, Im thinking about narrowing the rear of my K5, so a custom top will be in order. I will keep you updated on this subject in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif