Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

half cabs for blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by Boog, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Boog

Boog Registered Member

Any one here familiar with Creative Products of Minn. half cab conversion panel for 76 - 87 blazers? That's the fiberglass rear cab panel that makes the blazers shortbed pickups. I'd like to hear from someone who has installed one of these. How's the fit and finish, etc. Satisfied? Thanks, Boog.

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

that would be cool, gotta webbress (web-address)?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

3. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Yep, I bought one afew years ago, and am wanting another to build up another Blazer. I have been trying to find these people now for about 6 months. It seems that they closed their doors for business. I am hoping that some other company will buy the machining and start building them again. Sorry, I wish I had better news. You might post on parts for sale/wanted for a used one. If you find two I want one.

Just read your post again---dumb me--you asked about fit and how hard to install, etc. The fiberglass piece comes with sliding rear window intact. It just bolts in the same bolt holes as your regular top bolted into the back of the cab. It just goes down to the top of the bed and then has a steel bulkhead that bolts on down to the floor. I really disliked that part. I could not get it to seal up no matter what I did. It was really "mickey mouse"! As far as looks and functionality, the cab back is outstanding! It is double fiberglass so you don't have to worry about drilling a hole in it and the screw going out the back!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by k5woody on 08/20/01 11:43 AM.</FONT></P>

4. Boog

Boog Registered Member

The company in question is at www.creproonline.com. That's Creative Products Online. Their site is still up and working. Do the mounting bolts really go through the back of the panel and left exposed? They are priced at $695 for the top and bottom panel kit plus shipping and offer a hard bed cover for about $700 too. Don't know if i'd give $800 for a cab kit that didn't fit and seal off good. Anyone have any pics of trucks with this kit installed? Thanks much, Boog.

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Why do they only fit up to 87 blazers? Thought thet were interchangable up till 91?

Their site did not work for me? Is the addy correct?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

6. Boog

Boog Registered Member

You are correct. They are the same to '91. The email addy is correct. I just opened it myself to be sure. Did you put in 2 o's or 1. Try it again. www.creproonline.com and see if it works for you. This is the only company I've found making these conversions. There a couple making the vinyl type with bed cover included. Then there are the ones like on the project blazers at k5.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

www.creproonline.com

Clicky

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

8. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>First off, I'm just curious: I'm not trying to judge anyone who tries it, I just want to understand it. No offense intended.

Well, here goes:
    Why on earth would you WANT to convert your Blazer to a P/U? Seems you'd be losing a lot more than you gain. Why not just trade the Blazer for a P/U? Why not just make the back seat easily removable and use a soft-top?

Inquiring minds want to know....

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I saw something on a K5 somewhere (I don't remember if it was here in Cheyenne or in Greeley, CO) that was kinda something like that...

They had a soft top that came down behind the back seat, so they had an extremely short bed in the cargo area... I'd say they made that on their own, but it was pretty cool... not something I'd do, but I liked the way it looks :)

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Hard top is nice and probably better insulation in cold weather. Hard top is harder to cut through for potential thieves. By keeping the blazer you are able to keep the ability to remove the back portion of the cab and thus have a convertable. With a pickup this same ability would take a decent ammount of time cutting sheetmetal. Hope those all made sense :)

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

11. Boog

Boog Registered Member

This cab rear panel is not permanent. Can be removed in about 30 minutes and the full top installed again for full coverage. Times when a guy needs a truck bed without a top. You could put large tires and a roll bar with lights on it and turn it into a big 'ol Tonka Toy! Would save a few pounds in weight too. But mainly, something different. :) Boog.

12. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I guess I will respond to the pickup thing like this. I am confined to a wheelchair and have a lift in the back of my Blazer to lift it in and out. If I wanted to I could pull the wheelchair in the passenger side and then get to the driver's seat and drive. That is allot of work and I am one of the lazy types. Also the shortbox pickup still is a bit longer than the Blazer and I like the weight transfer it gives me. I also run dual fuel and don't like having a propane tank in the cab. With the propane tank right behind the cab it really gives me good weight transfer. I guess it is just in what a person needs and wants as to how they fix up the Blazers. I say, to each their own, but I really like the "Pickup Type Blazer"!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

13. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Yes the bolts just are out in the open when the cab back is bolted on. When you paint the top the bolts blend right in--can't hardly see them. If you put in a light bar in contour with the cab, you really can't see them.

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

14. Boog

Boog Registered Member

Woody, it sounds like you've got it all figured out. Allright! I'd sure like to see your rig. Got any pics you could post here? Apparently, the kit you've got is maybe the same one as what is being sold by Creative Products now. Have you clicked onto their site and checked out the pictures of blazers with it installed. I like the looks of it. Do you suppose a feller could maybe recess those bolts so as not to be seen as much? Or, I guess, they could just be painted to match. That addy is: www.creproonline.com . It took me about 2 years of asking to find this company. I knew it was being marketed by someone. Just isn't that much demand for it. But I like it. Thanks, Boog.