Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Half door finished-----pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85m1009, Apr 15, 2002.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Here are a couple of pics that were taken in Disney. They show the half doors pretty well. Thinking about making a rag top upper portiion that is removable.
    www.mo-offroad.com/Halfdoors2.jpg

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Cool beans, brother!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif How much would a pair of those suckers cost?

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

definitely awesome! can't wait to see the doors with ragtop windows. i will take at least one pair please! as soon as i finish my floorboard, hopefully by the first of june, i am going to be doing fenders and doors, and would love a set with ragtop windows for a 74 full convertible, everbody only makes the cool stuff for the later models. let me know if you plan on it.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The only problem with them cut so high is that if you are close to rocks on the passenger side, the visibility is just as bad with a full door, that's why so many people just take the door off completly so they can see how close they are on the passenger side. If you plan on selling them maybe you could offer two versions with one being cut a lot lower for extreme visibility?

5. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

COOL!!!! Those would probably work good for my 'hang out the window of the k5 and shoot' hunting style!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

I agree steve, on the trail these wouldn't be much better, i wouldn't want them for on the trail, when on the trail i want to take my doors all the way off or put on some tube doors, but these are great for what i want them for. on the blazer while on the road. i like em!!!

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Actually the visibility is incredible. Seeing out the passenger side is best left to the passenger, they would be in the way anyway. Tube doors would be a better option than an extremely cut down door. Once you cut out the body line you loose an amazing amount of strength. Points to ponder. All advice well taken.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Seeing out the passenger side is best left to the passenger, they would be in the way anyway.

<hr></blockquote>
    Passenger? There job is to spot and take pictures so they wouldn't be in the way. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sweet, they look nice. However, I think you need to change the "name". 1/2 doors is kinda "false advertising". Maybe 7/8 doors? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I guess that depends on where a fella starts the measuring from. LOL

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have to agree that they are too high.They look great.But if am going to do all the work to cut them and cap them I am going lower.Doesn't look like they offer much more visibility than the stock full convertibles do.Brady

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think they are good on height. If you look at the second pic you can see the top left corner of the dash. Now just draw a straight line from the top of the dash (where a regular door is) to the door frame and then you can get a pretty good idea of how much metal was actually cut off. Just my opinion though.

Ross

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually if you look where the very top corner of the fender is, THAT is where the top of the original door is.

Steve,I think these look very good. I would like to see how the inside was finished. I'm planning the same thing VERY soon. I'm thinking of going a little closer to where the body creases but still the same concept.

14. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The reason I stopped cutting where I did was due to the door latch. I cut the door about 1/2" above the latch mechanism. I do not have the insides finished yet but plan on using a marine grade carpeting.

15. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Cool!! If you start to make them I'll take a set with the ragtop windows. Nice job!!!

16. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I noticed that the latch is higher than the crease in the body so I will probably got back up towards the rear of the door. I still haven't decided, so i'll see when it comes down to cutting them. Thanks