Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Half doors anyone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85m1009, Feb 19, 2002.

1. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Started my half door project today, here are a few pics. Envision making a top cap and interior panel in kit form for those who wish to cut up perfectly good doors in the name of visibility. The front portion was left tall in order to mount the mirrors, although they will be mounted a couple inches farther forward. Should have them done in a week or so, minus some yellow paint.

www.mo-offroad.com/hlfdoor2.jpg
    www.mo-offroad.com/hlfdoor4.jpg

The doors are removable by pulling the hinge pins. I modified my full doors to accept the pull pins also.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mo-offroad.com>www.mo-offroad.com</a>

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

did you fabricate those yourself? If so then good job man. If you bought em please tell me where, I just might do that myself. nice truck I saw it in fourwheeler congrats on that.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I thought you said they were 1/2 doors, they are more like 1/16th doors, you need to cut some more, warm up those blades. [​IMG]

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

4. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Can we see the inside, hinges and the top of the door next tiem you take some pics? They do look good.

Ben
    85,90,90K5
    91,95 Suburban

5. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

how did you do the hinge-pin thing? i am interested and would like to see that. thanks

6. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The hinges are stock, just ground off the crimp on the bottom of the pin and removed them. I bought another set of hinges from the salvage yard and used the door halves, so I do not have to change them out every time. I do not have the top pieces installed yet, still finalizing the design/fabrication. I just wanted to get some feedback on the design. I like the visibility, but still feel like I won't fall out. Thinking about building a kit that will come with cutting templates and the tops and inside panel. You reuse the factory latch with a handle that sticks straight up through the top panel so you can open it from the inside or out. Any thoughts?

7. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

To make the pins removable, I ground off the crimp off the bottom and removed them. I ground off the knurls at the top to ease installation and removal. I used a 1/8'' drill bit and drill a cross hole through the pins and the bottom end. Once install I slid a washer over the pin and installed a small keeper pin in the drilled hole. One note the upper pin has to be installed from the bottom side with the keeper pin on the top. There is not enough clearance to remove the pin out the top without removing the hinge.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Could you turn the inside handle 90 degrees and mount it on the top?? then you can use it to enter/exit from both sides. What kept you from cutting it down farther?

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I thought you said they were 1/2 doors, they are more like 1/16th doors, you need to cut some more, warm up those blades.

<hr></blockquote>
    I Agree [​IMG]

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I did not cut it down any further for several reasons. One I want to retain the body line for rigidity, two I cut it just above the latch so it could be reused, three cutting it any lower would not help with visibility, four I like having a armrest. That's about all I the reasons I can think of for now. As far as a handle. The latch has an arm that sticks straight up. I am extending it up through a slot in the top panel near the rear of the door. To open just pull the lever forward. It can be opened inside or out with no linkage.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would definitly be interested in a kit to make the half door like you mentioned above. If you have a chance could you snap a few pics of the hinges, and how they were modified. I kinda understand what you are talking about, but I am a very visual learner. Thanks

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

12. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I HAVE A SET OF HALF DOORS. THE MIDDLE PART OF MINE ARE CUT DOWN ABOUT A FOOT BELOW THE BODY LINE IF YOU NEED OR WANT SOME PIC. I COULD E-MAIL THEM BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THE LINK THING YET (HEY ROCKO DID YOU HERE ME SAY YET SO HELP )

I'AM NOT YELLING I JUST HATE THAT DAMM SHIFT BUTTON

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

That answered my question. I was just curious. I have some junk doors here I was looking at hacking up.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

14. stan2d2

stan2d2 Registered Member

Awesome job on the half-doors. Please post your pics when it's all done.

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i made removable hindge pins buy weldin some small pipe stock that had an inner dia. of 3/8th in betwwn the two ears of the inner hindge then i reemed out the outer hindge holes to 3/8th and i used a 3/8th bolt with a lock nut and added a little grease. works like a champ, no wobbling or rattling .

gime a bucket of chicken with extra skin!

16. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

those are SWEET man
    if i can find a 2nd set of doors, i might fab up a 2nd set of doors for fun.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Steve,

They look great! I need to give you a call tonight and chat about some things before Disney. I welded in the 1/8" plate for the roll cage, installed the new seats, and now I am ready to install the roll cage. It will be a busy weekend. Talk to you later.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Groovy man! I was thinking of this type of project or when I get to Moab in August I am thinking of just removing the doors all together. I have a 72 so the underside of my body has a rocker box for riggidy I will also have my rock sliders welded to the box &amp; sheetmetal and I want to put a floor bar connecting my cage's front leg to the center leg.
    Why didn't you go with a tube type door?
    The cut door does look cool and keeps the body line down the side keeping a cleaner look but looks aren't always everything....???hehehe
    Keep us updated.......

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

19. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I SURE WOULD LIKE SOME PIC. OF YOUR HINGE SET UP.

THANKS

I'AM NOT YELLING I JUST HATE THAT DAMM SHIFT BUTTON

20. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sorry i got picks but my sorry dumb computer ass still has to scan them and figure out all this fancy computer stuff. But i'll make it a point to scan them and post them in the next week if my wife will help my dumb ass.

gime a bucket of chicken with extra skin!