Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Half doors for K5's???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, May 7, 2000.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Half doors for K5\'s???

With the soft top weather settling in in GA for sometime now, I wonder every year if anyones knows of half doors for Blazers? Either the Jeep/FJ-40 type or even those tube type bars that kinda make a door. Any ideas?

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Half doors for K5\'s???

Well, if it was not such a major pain in the butt to remove and reinstall doors, I would probably go to the junk yard and get me a pair and hack them up to make some cool looking half doors. The tube ones would not be very hard to make though.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of the same thing. if anyone does somrthing like this please let us know.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've been turning this idea over in my mind some too. Since mine is a beater, I think I'm going to do tube doors. The prospect of having to do bodywork makes my stomach queasy. Just something to keep me in the truck in the rough stuff and help support the body in the twisties. I want the original doors to actually still fit after summer's over. So sometime soon. Has anybody ever seen a set on a fullsize?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have NEVER seen a set on any fullsize. Mostly I have seen people just take them off completely. How hard would the tube doors be to make? Would you have them fab. and them fit some old chevy door locks so they would stay shut?

The ones I am dreaming of are the light-weight, fiberglass doors that are the bottom half of a door. I have seen these on older Broncos only, but wonder how hard they would be to make for a fullsize.

BBone 85'K5

6. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

7. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

you would definitely loose alot of strength, personally i wouldnt do it, but if you have a beater and have the time to make them have fun, it would make seeing the trail alot easier.

8. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Do you really loose that much strength with the doors off? I am widering if some type of net restraint would work, kinda like the NASCAR driver side windows.... any ideas?

BBone 85'K5

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I have a full cage in my 72 and it is bit unnerving just how much the door opening does move and change shap. I shure that it much better in blazers 76 and up that have the steal roof over the driver and a full door opening.

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Your strength loss comes from removing the top, not the doors. If you are worried about loss of strength, then put in a roll bar(should have one anyway.) I run my K-5 without doors and haven't noticed any more flex than usual.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Guy I have met a few times has made a set of half doors for a fullsize Cherokee (the Yellow one with Yahooo on the front fenders that made the mags last year). I was talking to him and he just cut down a door in the shape he wanted left the latch in then where the gaping hole was he just welded in a strip. He said he had both doors done in a weekend. I belive he has a little access cover so if he needs to open them he can trip the latch.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

12. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well I have removed the top and there is some serious flex going on. A friend of mine has a beater blazer and well it doesnt have doors on it. He is fixing it up now and tried to fit some doors on it. nothing would line up and looking at it it looks like it sags in the middle of the bottom of the door frame now. I would think anything with that substantial of bracing and metal in it would be important to keeping the shape of the body

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

13. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i have kicked around the idea of making some fiberglass half doors for fullsizes. the same guys that built my cage also do fiberglass hoods, scoops, etc. for the racing circuits. they said if i could come up with a working sample, they would make a mold. it would be something similar to what they sell for the old broncos, an insert. the cost is my only limitation right now. maybe the summer heat will be a motivator.
    as for body flex and the misalignment of the door jam, as far as i know the doors have very little to do with this. you may get more flex from removing them, but should not have a problem putting them back on. the roof is your structural rigidity.
    i cut the roof off my truck and would have a problem with the doors shutting, but the cage stiffened up the body enough. without a cage some support under the floor would have to be done.

14. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have a '73 with a full 8 point cage and have been planning on taking the doors off.I was planning on copying the way project money pit has his sits mounted and then adding another bar above for a arm rest and to keep me in the ride.This would also have two hitch pins in front and rear so you could remove it for when the doors are on for winter and for easy entry.I think with the cage tied to the frame it would be strong enough. Brady