Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Half doors for my S-10 Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaze, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of making some half doors for my S-10 Blazer 4x4. For those of you familiar with the S-10s, I'm thinking of cutting the doors below the door lock at about the small crease in the door and removing everything above that. I know that I can do it, but I'm just wondering if it will look stupid or not. I want to open it up a little for the summer time and what better way to do that then get it ready in the winter! Thanks!

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

dont know ANYTHING about s10's but would they be like j**p 1/2 doors

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm currently in the process of making half doors for my blazer, I don't think it'd look stupid imho. But in reality, stupid in other folks eyes is their own damn fault in my book..

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

They'd be sort of like J**p 1/2 doors. Check out the picture and you will see what I'm talking about. I'd come down from the rearview mirror at an angle till I got to the red pinstripe, then cut straight down the pinstripe till I got to the end of the door. Everything above that would be removed. [​IMG]

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

here's a few pics of toys with half doors. I'll try to zap a dig pic of my layout on tuesday, you can see what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That white one at the top is probably what I'm going to make mine look like, except that that one still has the window frame and everything. I'm going to remove mine to get it even more open.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah I hear ya. I'm debating whether I keep the frame or not. On one hand, it will be no frills simplicity if I dont which i like. But if I keep it, I can make a snap in vinyl/plastic window in case of inclement weather. Still thinking on that one.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a similar idea. I have no window frames to begin with, and a full-convertable, so mine will be more like the fiberglass cut-outs that came on Early Broncos (at least I didnt say the J-word) equiped with the Roadster Package. Mine will not open (like on the EBs), I plan on making soft doors to fit inside, also like on the EB. I'll probably make the frames for the soft doors out of 1/2" copper plumbing tubing since its easy to bend. Then, I'll take it to a boat place (theres hundreds around here) and have them cover the doors with boat cover material and add windows. The inserts will just fill in the opening because in most states, it needs to be X" higher than the floor (which is why J**ps have the raised part between the floor and opening). They will also provide a place to mount rear-veiw mirrors so I can run without doors on the street. The soft doors will open and they will lift off like J**p doors. I know the guy who owns the 85 X-Cab on the bottom and he told me he used the metal he cut out to fill in the top and he also used the stock latch. I have a set of pickup doors I'm going to butcher, I already gutted them. I'll put up pictures as I get them.

Here's a picture I made in Paintshop

[​IMG] </font color=blue>

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

That looks pretty cool, biggray! Once you get that done, post some pictures so we can check them out!

Laketex, what I'm probably going to do is keep my old doors and make the half doors out of some old doors. I'd just put the half doors on when the weather is good and the full doors on when I'm not driving it or the weather is bad. I'm not going to put and vinyl windows or anything on it for money reasons. When you've got 3 projects, you need all the money you can get!

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let me suggest that you also think about installing a roll cage. The S-10's that I've seen after a rollover didn't look like they held up very well. Removing the door frames will make the roof that much more likely to meet your head. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about that, but I'm not going to do it until I put a bigger engine in it because I don't want to add any more weight. I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading till I get a lift and bigger tires, anyway.