Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Half top weight (mystery solved)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Sep 30, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A while back there was some discussion about how much the half top on a Blazer/Jimmy weighed.
    Well I'm installing my soft top today so I weighed the half top as soon as I got it off the truck.[​IMG]

182 lbs, that is the weight for the half top with the sliding side windows. I imagine the fixed side glass top would be a couple of pounds lighter.

Sure feels like 300 lbs though![​IMG]

I'll be gutting the tailgate as well so I'll weigh all that crap too. I'll post those later.

Rene

[​IMG]

2. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I can not believe that is all it weighs!
    Thanks for solving the mystery!

3. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

Just a note to add. My truck rides 100 times better with the top on. I guess it has to do with body flex or something.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Knew it had to be under 200. When my wife can grab half of it no problem (and she is 115 lbs) knew it couldn't be 400+. Thanks for the clarification. Thought I had an amazon woman..........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Thanks for solving mystery! Sure feels heavier. I better start working out again!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

6. tRustyK5

Just an update, I just gutted the tailgate.

Glass 22lbs
    Motor and brackets (guides etc) 7 lbs
    Window regulator and cable 11lbs

Total 182 lbs for the top and 40 lbs for the internals for 222 lbs. It might be my imagination but I can feel the difference back there, the truck does'nt seem to wallow or lean as much.

It might be trivial to some but I figure anything that lowers the center of gravity has to be good.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Rather than gut the tailgate you could have put a truck gate on and gained about 3" inside you ride.I put a gate off of a 84 truck on my '73.It bolted right up all the holes are there for this.Works great and no glass to break!!Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

8. tRustyK5

I thought about going to a truck gate but, the tailgate I have is rust free and straight and best of all I already own it[​IMG]. Right now it weighs next to nothing, and the extra 3 inches is a non-issue in my truck. Thanks for the input anyways.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

When I was putting my rig together the stock gate was hammered and had no glass and also didn't open.I had the truck for parts so I decided to see if it would work and it did so I kept it.I do put the hard top on for winter so I have a piece of plexi glass for the window.Kind of ugly but I don't drive it in the winter much anyway so I am not concerned with it.I will someday buy a softtop and not worry about it anymore.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

are your side guides for the glass in good condition with the felt still in place? are you going to sell them? I'll give you $10 plus shipping if they are good.
    Dan
    PS what year is that and are guides from a power window gate the same as the guides on a manual crank gate???

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I didn't think it was 300lb either. I can get my full top of my 75 by myself with it on my back and I am by no means a body builder. with that weighing 182 a good guess on the full top I would say is in the 225-245lb area. The b pillers are much more beefy as is the header section. Thanks for the update.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/