Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Half way there

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed_deed, Jun 13, 2003.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

YES!!!!!!!!!

Well I got it half way there. I was sitting here reading the posts here earlier today and I decided to go check the K5. I got under the dash and disconnected some stuff from the steering column. I reconnected all the wiring and started her up. I tested the turn signals first and they worked that made me feel good then I tested the hazardous and they worked good then I tested the brakes and they worked good. I tested the brakes with the headlights on and they didnt work and neither did the taillights but the turn signals worked and the hazards worked. I really dont get it Can anyone help me out?

TIp for testing brake lights alone: Use a fidhing net (landing net) to press the pedal down and push the net down over the seat and walk back to check the lights.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Or an easier way to check your brake lights/backup lights is whenever you back out of a parking space and there is a building with windows behind you, just look in your mirror.

3. speed_deed

Yeah but that would be the easy way and I was testing them in the daylight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. speed_deed

I was showing my friend my progress on the light situation today and he pointed out to me everything I stated in the original post was true with one exception. Whhen I turn on the right side blinker both of the flashers come on.

So I was wondering if maybe I had something mixed up in the steering column. I installed the column about 3 years ago and didnt have any of these light problems until about a year and a half ago and I never noticed the blinker problem until the last 3 months, The only thing I can think of that could have started the blinker problem if it was me was if some way 3 months ago I messed something of when I took the plastic off of the column to hook on the gear selector cable.

Kind of confusing but please bare with and help me.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Has the engine been out?

Back side of the passengerside head is SUpose to be a ground strap to the fire wall. 10-1 it's not connected.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

sounds like the craziness of a bad ground, though I am no wiring expert, but I have seen this a lot with trailers when the ground is bad.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

on my truck there is a ground strap that goes to the rear lights and also is where the ground for the fuel tank is hooked up.it is bolted to the crossmember in front of the rear bumper.