Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Halogen shop light Safety!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thunder, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just thought I'd pass this along.

A guy here in town was changing his fuel filter under his vehicle. He was in his garage using one of those little halogen shop lights under the car for light. Fuel leaked out of the filter/gasline line onto the hot light where it instantly ignited. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    The resulting fire burned his house down. He was lucky to get out from under the vehicle without getting seriously burned.

This story hit home for me because I just changed my fuel filter using the exact same type of light under my K5. I do keep it well away from the work aera because it is soo bright and hot. But accidents have a strange way of happening.
    A good reason to keep a fire extinguisher handy Too. I have one on each side of my shop.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good Tip! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's why I use fluorescent lights when working on cars. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I have never liked using those lights cuz I burn myself on them. They can fall over and ignite a fire even without gasoline being present. They also use a hell of a lot of energy.

Thanks for the heads up...

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I quit using even the drop lights that take a regular 100 watt light bulb several years ago. I was always burning myself on the %$#! things, especially when working under the dash. I've got 3 flourescent drop lights now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I even cut the drop light off of my Craftsman retractable cord light and spliced a nice flourescent one onto the end of the cable. Another one that I have operates on 120V AC or 12 volt DC. You can plug it into the cigarette lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry to hear about that guys experience, but at least he lived to be a bad example for others! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm careful to make sure that the cord for the stupid thing doesn't get in front of it. Same goes for putting it near the tires and what not. Mine has a huge metal "cage" over the light, but even that gets hot enough to burn you.

The two good things you can say about those lights are that they put out a huge amount of light, and they put out heat. Kind of feels good when you are working outside and that thing is behind you. Also great for dealing with that hard plastic vacuum line. Hold it in front of the lens for about 15 seconds, and it's soft enough to bend to shape. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I quit using even the drop lights that take a regular 100 watt light bulb several years ago. I was always burning myself on the %$#! things, especially when working under the dash. I've got 3 flourescent drop lights now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I even cut the drop light off of my Craftsman retractable cord light and spliced a nice flourescent one onto the end of the cable. Another one that I have operates on 120V AC or 12 volt DC. You can plug it into the cigarette lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry to hear about that guys experience, but at least he lived to be a bad example for others! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I have one conventional drop light left. The rest including the on on the retractable deal hanging from the ceiling are florecent.

I got tired of burning myself and I got tired of banging the regular ones and having the bulb blow. I haven't had to change a bulb in the florecent in 8 years. more than paid for itself.