Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ham radio license question

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by chevblazk5, May 2, 2002.

1. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do I have to do? Where do I have to go and who do I have to talk to about getting a license for a Ham radio? I am in NJ if that helps.

2. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

First you have to study ARRL (American Radio Relay League) has some *great* books to study for the tests. After that it's just a matter of finding a place to take a test.

I believe www.qrz.com and a few other sites have that sort of information. Can also try contacting local chapter of red cross as I believe they hold HAM tests occasionally, at least that's what I've been told...

The test for technician no code consists of 35 questions pulled from a large pool of questions... If you get a list of the questions make sure you don't bother studying the wrong answers, just cross those out and only study question and right answer... It helps...

That'll get you your privellages for over 50mhz I believe... Will need either tech with code or general class license to operate on 10m/12m, etc... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I believe that's only 5wpm code... All things I've seen indicate not to bother learning code at 5wpm, as in the real world you'll get swamped. Best way is apparently to start at a high rate, one character at a time, practice it until you get it about 95% of the time and throw another one in until you're doing complete sentences, etc...

Some computer programs teach like that and that's what I'll personally be searching for when I'm ready to learn code...

3. chevblazk5

Again, Thanks for the info /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'll ask around my area to see if there is a place around here where I can take the test.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You can get a computer program that will give you practice test for the no code. Makes the real test easy.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

6. chevblazk5

Great! Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif