Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ham test study materials?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by alec78, Aug 22, 2004.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Aug 5, 2002
    I am so newbie to ham that green is not green enough. The only thing I know about it is I want to do it and I need to take a test. I've read several posts here and really see that I'll need help to learn this. Any suggestions on books (prefer them over web based study guides)

Bear in mind when I say I'm green, I mean I'm <font color="green"> GREEN </font> !!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
  2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Apr 2, 2001
    The test was so much easier than studying the available materials I couldn't believe it. I studied in order to understand the subject, so both books I found sucked. There's a book by Gordon West called Technician Class that has all the questions with the answers for the first ham test. Ultimately I found that one a better text and used the other text to help explain things when needed. The other text is called Now You're Talking, published by the ARRL. I found that I could not study it from beginning to end because they say a lot of stuff right at the beginning with no definitions, so you're going "Huh?" all the time.

I finally found a ham radio glossary online somewhere (Google for it) and that helped. Also I think a mentor would be VERY helpful. 88Silverado seems to know a lot. Azblazor knows a lot too.

There's a ton of frequencies talked about - that part just requires memorization.

There are online sample tests you can take to help get it right. Check it out: Sample tests
  3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Mar 13, 2003
    Heres a good link with lots of reference material
    License Info
    Also look at the ARRL site for more info

There are many other publications out there. Gordon west and ARRL pubs are probably the most popular.

Good Luck