Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ham vs. CB radios

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 21, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Which do you think is better and why. I am thinking of getting a ham license and wondering what are the benefits of ham?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Benefits of ham are that you have rules and regulations, you can't cuss, talk buisness, and having to have a licence weeds out some of the riff raf. Of course that's also it's downside. There aren't that many hams in the world and around here, they are usually just a bunch of old men talking about the weather, no joke. I got my licence along with a handful of friends back in high school, and a definite plus is that it's really easy to talk around in a 30-50 mile range on 2 meter. Lots of repeaters around to facilitate this. We used it to coordinate around town and the lake...this was about 5 years ago before cell phones were really popular, at least in my neck of the woods. We had fun with it, but there's not that many folks on ham lines around here anymore.

After trailriding with DangerB, I really like the FRS 2 mile radios. You can get a pair for 50 bucks, talk up to 2 miles, and keep up with your trail buddies. Easy to give whoever you're roadtripping with one too for car to car communication.

I'll have a 2 meter, CB, and FRS in the blazer as well as the pickup (it's a Ford, assuming I keep it much longer)

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

3. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I like hams because of range...and how you can say I got one of them dare ham license. The most annoying thing I can remember from my friends experience is you have to say your call sign after every pause

Cb's are cool because you can talk to all the crazy blood thirsty truckers out there. (there not all like that though)

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

what do you haft to do to get a ham license I would like to get one and how much does it cost

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

you take a test. The class of license you get depends on the test's you take, the first is no code, but has 100 questions on electical theory, and radio wave theory. The next class of license has more advanced theory and code. Each class of license has more band that you can transmit on and higher power limits. My dad use to talk to people on the other side of the world driving down the road! He was using VHF and about 4000 watts of power and yea it was leagal!

Blazer72 / KB0ZNR

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

man that makes my CB and amp look like a toy I am going to look in to that stuff

[​IMG]Go prepared

7. bart

bart Registered Member

Actually, the exams are free...given by VE's (volunteer examiners) usually sponsored by a local ham radio club at a hamfest (Swap-meet) or just regularly scheduled. Go to radio shack and buy your "study guide for technician license"..it's like $9...you will learn about band plans, operating guidelines (FCC rules for ham radio), equipment, radio propagation, etc. etc...
    there are different classes of licenses...the entry level no-code license is the Technician...that's right, no CW requirement...just use this as a stepping stone into the hobby...with higher class licenses comes the HF or high Frequency bands...the stuff you work the world on...
    And, contrary to popular belief...massive amounts of output power from a radio doesn't do 1/3 the good that a good antenna will do for you...running 1000 watts on your 11 meter CB (and don't even think about getting a 10 meter rig and running illegal...) won't do you any good, other than talking to some people south of the border with so much audio processing and reverb that it sounds like some bad PA system during a church service...enough rambling.
    Ham licensees can use "repeaters" which enable handheld radios to communicate over ranges of 20-or more miles...in fact, there is a linked repeater system here in eastern PA that covers from middle NY state down into west virgina, DC, MD, etc...as well as NJ and as far west as williamsport in PA...all run by hams for nonprofit purposes...for the use of everyone...
    If you are interested, check in your area for a radio club..they sometimes even have prep classes for license study...also, the exam is not impossible...if you make a small effort..no brain surgery here..just a few rules and formulas...that's it (it's multiple choice, too!)
    Good luck,

Bob KB8PXI

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I am going to a hamfest tomaro my dad just told me about it what luck

[​IMG]Go prepared

9. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I've had a ham license since I was in the 5th grade (no lie) the test isn't all that difficult. Learn the multiple choice questions. There are some programs that will test you on theory and morse code. There is a tech license which requires no code and you can run 2 meters. It's true that you can't cus on ham but you can't cus on cb frequencies either. The only difference is the type of people. The hams are more conservative and not that they are "nicer" they are usually "educated" and respectful. CB's don't have a great range unless you use a linear amp which most are illegal over certain watts. The lack of cussing is due to the people, there are a bunch of young hams that don't need to hear f#$k this and f#$k that. Which should be true on CB's. The lack of licenses on CB's means there is no real enforcement. If you are caught "cussin" on ham frequencies you can have your license suspended. Ham repeaters also have unique features such as getting a land line over the air and there are codes which if nobody is using repeaters in a certain area they can be linked together so it's possible to talk over multiple states by linking repeaters. Try that with your CB. I'm partial to ham b/c it takes knowledge and determination to get a license which is something everyone should strive for. I don't use mine much but it's nice to have and the people are all wonderful and I can honestly say I worked hard to get it and other hams know this as they have been there. In my rig I probably should carry my 2m/440 rig which I may start but I don't usually think about it since the age of the cell phone which most people can afford. The down size of ham radios they are more expensive, but the range is 1000x better than cb's.

Wasn't me.............

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like ham is the way to go for range. I have been looking into the idea of getting one for the truck, since I need to get an FCC Radio & Telegraph Licence for work anyway. There are several people at work who are into amature radio and they have given me all kinds of cool info. On the other hand, CBs are handy because everyone has them and if you carry a hand held and have one in the truck they can be very usefull on the trail. The bad thing about cell phones is there arnt many towers in the good wheeling spots. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Would you still be able to access the Citizens Band frequencies if you had a ham?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I think so, it seems you work your top level or anything lower. Any ham guys know for sure? Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Its been years since you could buy a Trancever that had the 11 meter band on it (CB is 11 meter in ham talk!) Theres nothing to keep you from haveing both in your rig, I do. Not everyone has a ham but most have CB's.

14. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

any body can use CB If you are a hamer or not, I thank I am going to try to get a ham lince the guys in the local ham club side they had the books and would let me use them to study

[​IMG]Go prepared

15. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So will ham and a cb in the k5 interfer with each other? And do you have to have a ham license to have a police scanner on board with you? Thanks guys.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

No you don't have to have a ham license to have a scanner, but I not sure if it's illegal here in TX to have one in your car. I know it is illegal in a lot of other states. Best bet is to keep it hidden.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]