Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hammerite the Whole Body?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, what do y'all think? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Why not? Some of us have used Krylon or other cheap Spray cans. It would help with rust prevention.
    Bill

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not? Some of us have used Krylon or other cheap Spray cans. It would help with rust prevention.
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

About the only drawback would be price, since it's a little expensive, but I'm sorta of thinking about it.

What happened is I bought a can of silver and painted my rear brake calipers a few weeks ago, they came out way bright silver. No problemo /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

Yesterday, I had to do some mailbox maintanance and I shot the box with some primer before I hit it with the silver Hammerite and it actually came out a little darker tint than the brake calipers and looks pretty good.

And the stuff is suppose to be tough as nails, might be the way to go........

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I used it on my dads wheel barrow just to clean up the rust bucket, That was almost 2 years ago and it still looks great, quite durable! And you really don't need primer.
    Bill

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Hammerite is the 'accent' color on my truck. Everything under the truck gets painted rustolium flat black and the covers and such get painted with black (which is actually a dark grey) hammerite. The stuff has held up good somewhere under all that grease /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Hammerite is the 'accent' color on my truck. Everything under the truck gets painted rustolium flat black and the covers and such get painted with black (which is actually a dark grey) hammerite. The stuff has held up good somewhere under all that grease /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna have to call BS. I've seen your truck a couple of times and I always thought that mud was the accent color........... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am in the process of painting the whole underbody/suspention of my Mustang project. I am doing a complete suspention build and am using Hamerite dark grey and black to paint all the parts. It is coming out looking good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like it.
    I have found that primering things increases the hammered/dimpled look.
    I painted my rock sliders with Hammerite 3 years ago and it is still looking good. Easy to repaint when I bash it off too

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Hammerite stuff on my ORD swaybar disconnects falls off if you look at it wrong. It might just get brittle because it's cold or something...

But I'd go the Herculiner route. Or better yet, have it sprayed with LineX or Rhinoliner.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I am in the process of painting the whole underbody/suspention of my Mustang project. I am doing a complete suspention build and am using Hamerite dark grey and black to paint all the parts. It is coming out looking good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like it.
    I have found that primering things increases the hammered/dimpled look.
    I painted my rock sliders with Hammerite 3 years ago and it is still looking good. Easy to repaint when I bash it off too

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surfing the Hammerite website a few weeks ago and found that they have several different styles, with one that has that hammered look that stands out a little more. My mailbox turned out eggcellent with the primer with no "hammered" look except for one spot that didn't get prep good enough.

There is one former member here, can't remember his name from NorCal that did the frame of his first gen in this and it turned out great..........

I might just have to "test" this theory a little..........

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I believe your thinking of "tmanofcali".....

He has a gorgeous navy blue 1st Gen with a hammertone powdercoated frame.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe your thinking of "tmanofcali".....

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Couldn't remember who it was, even though I've been to his house and drooled all over his truck...........

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna have to call BS. I've seen your truck a couple of times and I always thought that mud was the accent color........... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just a testament to how well it holds up. I chipped some of the mud off my 14B (and hit it with a hammer to stop it from leaking /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif) and the paint still looks good under there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Believe it or not I have washed my truck...but just the underside /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif