Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Jun 1, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

What hand cleaner do you use to get all the grease, oil and other junk off your hands?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i use fast orange if i have some, but lately ive been useing dish soap, works great.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Dawn. Works better than anything ive ever used and its alot cheaper.

Nick

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I keep some of the orange cleaner hand wipes that are in a container like the armor all wipes in the truck, very nice to have when you're not by a sink. when i'm home, I use Fast Orange.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

1 gallon jug of Briggs and Stratton hand cleaner...GREAT STUFF. I got it through work. To get it, you'll have to go to a servicing lawn-mower dealer and look through a briggs catalog. They no doubt use the stuff back in their shop. Did I mention this stuff was great?! Oh, and about $10 (maybe a little more, I got it for cost) for the gallon jug with pumper.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

fast orange rocks, it evan takes paint off, and gink makes some stuff to that we used to use in my uncles shop, pretty good stuff top, it was green, cant rember what the name was.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sunlight dish soap for me /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I use Boraxo, can get it as most grocery stores and will get damn near anything off your hands /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I've been using laundry detergent (powder), it works very well and takes very little.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use Mean Green. That stuff is by far the best hand cleaner I have used. I have tried most of the rest that the auto parts stores sells, and nothing comes close. I don't know if or where it is available to the public. I get mine threw work. This stuff kicks some major arse.

Harley

11. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try using the stuff from Castrol. It's in a purple bottle/container. It is the waterless & towelless variety. It is the best stuff I have used when out on the trail or roadside. Gets most oil stains out easily. Got mine from O'Reilly.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use Boraxo, can get it as most grocery stores and will get damn near anything off your hands /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used Boraxo for years. Works better than any hand cleaner and has the added feature of pointing out any little nic or scrape you might have on your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've used Boraxo for years. Works better than any hand cleaner and has the added feature of pointing out any little nic or scrape you might have on your hands. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh doesn't it tho /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've tried all the usual stuff like Go-Jo,Lan-Lin,Fast Orange,Boraxo,etc,and they all work ok,but not that great.
    After working on a diesel,you have a really hard time getting the grease out from under your nails--the castrol "Super Clean"works good but its very harsh and the fumes can gag ya!.For really soiled hands(and shop clothes)I use lestoil--it smells pretty bad but it works great!.Also like Dawn dishwashing liquid,easy on the skin and it cuts grease pretty good(I think it used to be better than it is now though).I'm going to try that "Greased Lightning"stuff next--I'm always looking for a better hand cleaner.The only thing that gets my hands and especially under the nails clean is a long,hot shower and lots of bar soap(Lava is pretty good,and the other ones with pumice are better than the plain stuff)-also shaving cream like Edge,or shampoo seems to help alot to get grease off too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I use Fast Orange also. The other thing I am in the habit of now , is using rubber gloves like doctors do. For most easier tasks it lets me remove the dirt in one pull. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If my hands are real dirty I use clean 30 weight motor oil in the shop before I go inside. It wipes off easy and gets the nasty stuff off, then when I go inside I just have to wash a little oil off.

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My Dad gets this green stuff from work and I have no idea what it's called. He brings it home in Diet Pepsi bottles /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It works about 100 times better than Fast Orange and doesn't irritate my skin like Fast Orange does. I also use Kerosene.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You mean those dreaded"proctologists"gloves!
    All right truck,bend over and cough! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    seriously,that is probably the best way to stay clean,short of having someone else fix it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Have a jug of fast orange under the sink. Lately thought just use the dish soap or the powder soap at the hobby shop on base. Thats were I do most "major" work these days.

20. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If my hands are real dirty I use clean 30 weight motor oil in the shop before I go inside. It wipes off easy and gets the nasty stuff off, then when I go inside I just have to wash a little oil off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool idea, I'll have to try that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif