Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hand gun opion

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by ed1507, Feb 24, 2005.

1. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

like to here some thoughts on the s&w sigma 40 cal

2. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

my friend has one of them, he likes it, ive shot it a few times and its pretty good, the only 2 things i didnt really like about it was the trigger pull seemed far, and it seemed to jam a lot. But the jams could have been the mags, the springs seemed very soft, and too easy to load to capacity, im not sure if they were S&W mags...

3. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

re

thanks eric u might be right on the trigger pull im using s&w 15 round mags thay seem to be stiff when loading so may be thay have better springs

4. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

ya he ones he had fed like crap, and loading was really too easy, while the other hand guns we were using were busting thumbs with the last two rounds

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I have the 9mm and I wish I could get my money back. Not happy with the way it shoots and it jams very easily and I keep mine very clean so I know it's not maintenance....

6. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I would not recommend the Sigma, SW99, or Walther P99. A neighboring agency uses Smith and Walther and used our range for training and qualification. They were having malfunctions like crazy. Our rangemaster, who is amazing with a sidearm, even had alot of problems with them.

P.S. The malfunctions were with high-cap mags and standard old 10 rounders.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally don't like Sigma's at all. I would never pay to own one, and if I got one from free I would sell it and get something else.

MX, what gun is yours that you have problems with?

Harley

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

sigma 9mm not sure of the name for the exact part bu it's the plastic rod that the recoil spring is around the first one was literally curved from shooting and I have probably about a 1,000 rounds through it before it started to bend. I called S&W and they just sent me new recoil rods(think that is what it is called). Now I have put 10,000-12,000 rounds through it now. The recoil rod isn't bending any more but it seems to stove pipe & jam more frequently. Not sure what rounds (not reloads) I was using at the time I haven't shot it in about 3 years. My uncle says it cause I have a limp wrist. :haha:If I was going to do it all over again I would by the H&K USP 40 or a Paraordinance ****(spelling)......

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I had one when they first came on the market. Mine jammed up all the time and I sold it. My Berretta 96 is much nicer.;

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

My father in law limpwristed my Browning HiPower so bad it stovepiped and I've not ever seen that happen before.:p: It's true that the user has alot to do with whether a gun works. If the rangemaster couldn't make it work, its probably junk.

11. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

40's too small

I have and enjoy my Desert Eagle .50 cal and could not say anything better than that...my old Browning Hi-Power 10mm was nice, but the .50 just ROCKS. Could be my 6'11", 325 frame makes the 50 not too hard to fire.....and it just fits!

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Limp wristing is the number one cause of failure in this gun . I tried it and got one , thats the only one ever .

The older models had issues for a couple years . The new ones don't .

And the trigger gets easier the more you shoot ( or polish the parts by hand ) . Its not as light as an expensive and ugly Glock , but lighter than a DA revolver in my eye .

I have 500 rounds , mostly WWB 165 grain , but some hollow points as well to make sure it would cycle my Hydra Shok 135 grain , through mine in 2 months with no FTF or FTE outside of the purposely limp wristing to see if it would .

Stick a Hogue slip on grip on it , keep it clean , and hold it steady :thumb:

13. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

limp wristing can cause stovepipes and fte's..

i had a SW SW40P which was with the melonite finish, loved that gun and the way it shot, i had at least 1200 rounds through it, got rid of it in favor of a smaller gun for my future CCW permit. i bought a taurus pt111 millenium pro 9mm... the smith is a good, solid gun and well worth the money.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hey hey canadian gun, i hear it is the best IF you got big hands, the high cap of the gun makes it hard for small handers

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Now its about 1000 rounds through it with no trouble . And wifey383 decided , of all the other pistols she could have ( so I can really have more :wink1: ) to get a 9mm Sigma .

SO I have one of each current caliber , his and hers . Maybe I should look for a little used .357sig , and have that too :thumb: