Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand parking brake retrofit for MT rigs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Oct 10, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm curious if anyone has successfully retrofit a hand parking brake to a K5. I run a manual transmission but find it cumbersome to operate the foot brake for hill holding, etc. If so, pics would be appreciated.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm also interested in what others have done. Dropping my cage bars through the dash pretty much eliminated my foot operated E-brake anyways. i was thinking of robbing the parts off of an import of some description...

Rene

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

TTT I'm interested as well.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bus!..

One guy's truck I saw at the junkyard had a E-brake handle assembly from one of the old 60's school busses we had transplanted into it,it was next to the shifter for the tranny --he also used the drum brake that bolted to the bus's tranny as his E-brake..he'd converted the rear axle to disc brakes,and decided to use regular 3/4 ton front calipers ,rather than Caddy style ones with an E- brake built in them..

I'm not 100% sure,but I think he used the 5 speed tranny from the bus, with a divorced Rockwell T-case..I didn't work at the junkyard when he bought all the stuff to re-vamp the drivetrain,and I only stuck my head under his truck breifly once or twice..I was more interested in the 400 SBC he was running with twin turbo's off a 231 Buick Grand National under the hood!..it had a Ford 9" rear end in it..truck was a 56 Ford 1/2 ton 2wd originally!..he converted it to a 4x4,did all the custom work himself..was a pretty cool rig!..:crazy:

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Would need to weigh cable pull distance vs. lever effort. How hard do you have to push on the pedal vs. how hard can you pull on the handle. Then look at how far the lever can move the cable vs. how far the pedal moves it. I suspect that a simple multiplier lever under the truck would be all that is needed. Some trucks already have this sort of thing under them. Yotas, with their hand p-brake levers come to mind.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This has always been in my plans. When I get started on it I will post up stuff. Of course that could be a long time :D