Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand throttle cables.....hmmmm?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jun 24, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have heard of hand throttle cables and have an idea of how they can be helpful. Could someone give me the lowdown and how I could hook something up on my rig? Pic's and part numbers welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

All I know is that the person who did it, used a bmx bike brake lever. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a brake lever doesn't hold a position like a shifter off like a 10 speed bike does. just clamp it on the shifter and run a cable to the carb.

im thinking about useing one on my auto so i can bump the idle up a bit when in deep water.

4. stallion85

I am thinking it would be useful to keep the rpm's up while trying to push the clutch and the brake at the same time, while climbing a steep rock ledge and not wanting to stall and lose my brakes and steering /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was planning on rigging a manual choke cable to my shifter, but i kind of like the bike brake lever idea. that wouldnt be near as hard to mount as the choke cable either.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have a hand throttle on mine. It is a brake lever off of a bicycle hooked to my 4spd shifter. It will only give me about 1/2 throttle, but works great when trying to take off on a hill or something... way better than trying to heel/toe the gas and brake! Cost was about 7 bucks, and about an hour to install...most of that was getting the cable hooked in a good spot on the carb so that it worked right.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Mine is an old Campagnolo bar-end shifter that's plugged into a cut off bike handlebar that's bent into a shape that allowed me to attach it to the trans shifter. I can operate the throttle control with my ring and pinky fingers while my hand is on the shifter knob. There's pics around somewhere online, I just gotta find them.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking about this last time I was trying to creep my way up a big boulder. I would love to see some pics!

9. stallion85

Pic's anyone?

10. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I don`t have eny pictures,A buddy of mine had a 85K30 that had some kinda recovery package on it.It came from GM with a front winch that had a hand throtle under the dash in line with the gas pedal,it was a knob that you pull and then lock by turning 1/4 turn.It pulled on the gas pedal in the truck and mounted to the pedal support and under the dash.Maybe somebody could look one up.JB

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Here ya go man /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a hood release kit. It worked perfect. Just remember to lube the cable or else it gets a little hard to pull on /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

I have also thought about this. I found a couple of things for the inside part. Pep Boys or a truck shop sells a very nice threaded knob type cable normally used with PTO's. Runs about $80. At a military surplus place I picked up one with notched detents for $3. For my underhood hookup, I was thinking of finding and using the little ball chain from the old style cruise control setups, but I haven't got that far yet......