Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand throttle installed w/PICS!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well last weekend I installed my hand throttle and have since tested it and loved it. It works as a cruise control, as well as helps greatly when trying to start your rig on a hill with a 465. Best of all it is dirt cheap to do!

I used a hood release kit I had laying around so the mod only ended up costing me the amount of a stronger return spring. Well here's the pics.

Shifter Side
    [​IMG]

Carb Side
    [​IMG]

Carb side close up
    [​IMG]

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have. I cannot take credit for this idea either I had seen it posted here a few times before and just decided to post my pics and share my new found joy with everyone else /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

~Max

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Looks great!
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm hmmm hmm.... Maybe I could setup one as my only throttle on the buggy.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn, clean your motor every once and a while! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looks good man! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn, clean your motor every once and a while! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already pressure washed the sonofabitch twice now and it still won't come clean. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Damn clay like mud bakes on to everything and won't come off with anything less than a wire brush I swear. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

bummer! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats why you seal off the motor as best you can, spray it down with WD40 or a Spray on wax. We race dirt tracks which are often clay mud and it just wipes right off. Pressure wash the hard parts. My old job on the littler car was to gently scrape all the mud off between heats.

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hmm cool I'll have to try that. Maybe the next time you see a picture of my engine bay it will be all nice and shiny /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Then again probably not /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'm lazy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wd40 or carb cleaner would be my suggestions for cleaning it off but I was talking about keeping it clean. Spray everything you can down with WD40 and Honda Spray Wax. You can get the wax at any Honda Motorcycle dealer. Stuff works good. Thats pretty much all we use it for, occassionally to shine up our sleds so they look good when we go drag racing in the dirt. Cuase afterwards they look a little green and brown compared to before.

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

thnx I will try it. Damn stuff has been on there since october /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and I wasn't too stoked on the idea of cleaning it off just to have it caked on again the next time I went wheeling, but your idea sounds promising. Do you have to worry about hitting the exhaust manifold? Will it start smoking or anything?

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i like it...nice simple design, i may have to come up with something like that for my s-10 to keep it from stallin if i cant fix the problem..probobly do it to my truck for 4 wheelin to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what are al lthe parts you used?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why would you put it on an automatic truck? Using that stuff on Exhaust won't do much it will just burn off. Never found mud and exhaust to be a problem, mud doesn't like to stick to really hot things.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well it would be cool on my pickup cause i have a really gummy pedal and sometimes its hard to move right, i swapped cables and lubbed it and its fine for a while but always gets gummy again, i think id have better control if i could do it with my hand..and my s-10, i have a stalling problem with that and of course thats stick so i cant hold the brake and the gas at the same time..ganna try to fix that first but if im un succesfull, im ganna do this.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you just need more practice with stick, I daily drive my Burb with 465 and I can hold the brake and gas at the sametime.

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Never found mud and exhaust to be a problem, mud doesn't like to stick to really hot things

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, I better remind mine of that.
    That stuff is baked on like ceramic.

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah me too...my exhaust is nice orange color with a hard baked on finish. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Mine have a red brown wrinkle finish.
    I tried header tape once...not a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    That stuff soaked up all the clay goo and then got baked on.
    You could have shot a .50 BMG round at it and it prolly would have stopped it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    I tried to take it off but it was easier to go and get another set than try to peel that mess off. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought of the fact at work today that I told him to use WD and wax ont he motor.... uhh motors get hot... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

19. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Do the install. You won't be disappointed. I say it is something that every owner of a standard truck should have. Even if you have an auto, hell cruise control rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif If your running a winch or other high draw electrical stuff you can set the idle and not worry about sitting in the vehicle with your foot on the pedal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif tons of uses

20. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

oh yeah and my exhaust is the dirtiest part of my engine /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Like they said it is damn near bulletproof.