Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand throttle success! and pics...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Aug 16, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The part finally came in the mail. I spent a little time finding just the right shifter for the job. Installation was a little frustrating, until I broke out the JB Weld. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I got the one with a friction mode, and a non-friction mode. So I can use it as a normal throttle, or I can lock into position to set a different idle speed (or cruise control). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If any of you are wondering, here is the shifter. clicky

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Very Nice /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

That's pretty cool. I got about a dozen or so bicycles that I could rob for parts. I was going to do a variable rate linear actuator to operate the clutch but damn those things are expensive. Hard to justify when I got the bicycles laying around.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Right...a variable rate linear actuator would be cool, but easy and cheap is the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

How is the cable mounted to your carb? I like that lever thingy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I used the mounting bracket from my old manual choke. It's not quite right, but I need a new throttle cable bracket anyway, it's all kind of monkey-strung right now.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I just got to thinkin and here's where the idiocy starts. How about a trigger kind of idea like ya use for model truck remote controls? Just a thought. Y'all can start callin me a moron now. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

By the way, cool concept with the lockin feature.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how long was the cable? I want one for mine. My brother was the manager at a sports store so the shifter and cable will be damn near free.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah thats neat! good work /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how long was the cable? I want one for mine. My brother was the manager at a sports store so the shifter and cable will be damn near free.

[/ QUOTE ]

It came with a short cable, so I went to GI Joe's ( I know most of you don't know what that is) and spent $1.50 on a new standard length cable. About 6ft /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It was long enough to go down the stick, underneath the dash all the way over to the driver's side wall, through the firewall, up over the brake booster, and over to the carb with some length to spare.

And I don't think a trigger style would work. Less range of motion would mean more resistance to movement, and mine's pretty stiff as is, and that lever will do more than 180 degrees of rotation. My gas pedal is pretty stiff too though, I've been thinking of putting in a spring opposing the current throttle springs to ease up a little of the pressure.

Also I would recommend to anyone that they cram that cable full of grease. I did, cause I don't want my throttle ending up like the shifters I've seen on some bicycles.