Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand throttle, who is running one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 29, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sitting at work thinking about things to do on the K5, and I remembered hand throttles. I'm thinking I want to set one up on the K5. Atv thumb throttle sounds like a good place to start I think. I know someone here runs a hand throttle and I want to know how you set it up. The thing is its my daily driver so I would want to keep the foot throttle, how would you set it up so they both work?

2. k5fd89

k5fd89 Hold my beer..watch this! Premium Member

I know there is one for CJ's( /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) I think 4WD warehouse or wholesale in Ohio has it. It has been a while since I saw one but I think it by passed the foot peddle and went diretly to the throttle but don't quote me on that.

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

i think depdog has one.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

'xcuse me for ignorance, but what is the benefit of a hand throttle? for me i like the security of being able to have both hands on the wheel, if for nothing else to hold me in the seat.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sm465, I only ever have one hand on the wheel, sometimes too. As for the benefits, to me it seems to be, say climbing a rock, don't want to slide back so you brake just a little, have to clutch, and gas to get over, how you do all 3 at once?

6. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Could be helpful on a manual tranny truck rockclimbing or steep hills so that you can hold the brake while you ease the clutch out without stalling. Lots of people with onboard welders like them too.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hey yunit any idea how to contact depdog? the email addy on off-road.com doesn't work, bounced back to me.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

The only easy way I can think of is if you have a first gen with a choke knob.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm choke knob interesting idea. splitter cable off a big rig shifter would be about the same idea, push pull knob on the shifter. I have a manual choke on my carb and mounted the knob on the flat spot of the dash next to the radio. it looks good and everyone that sees it says it looks factory.

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I've been thinkin of doing this. Either with a manual choke knob and cable or with a bicycle hand brake and cable. Either way would be pretty easy.

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

shoot him a pm.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he is blue

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

i rigged one op on my toyota, took about 15 minutes and under $10. i went to the local ace and picked up a lawnmower throttle, it even has the bunny and turtle on it. clamped it to the 4wd shifter. it works great, especially with a carb and a clutch. you can keep on the gas a bit to try and keep it from stalling out. plus like what was already said, it keeps you from rolling back, possibly off of a rock, or ledge. IMHO they are great, if you have a stick.

edit: forgot one more thing they are good for, Cruise Control!

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Bluebies can receive PM's, just can't send replies.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

discovered that when I pmed him and he emailed me back.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I have one on my truck, made entirely from bikeparts. A cutoff handlebar, a bar-end shifter, teflon lined cable and housing, miscellaneous fittings and some custom brackets to attach the cable. I'm trying to find some pictures, I know I had some...

17. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Mine is prettty much the same as what joez has. Its a Murray push mower throttle w/ the turtle & rabbit. I got it at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks. I need to rig it up on my shifter (right now its by the shifter under the dash) but its still convenient. For example, earlier this year at Tellico, I bumped up my idle to about 1000 RPM while on Slickrock so I wouldn't be as likely to stall and would be easier to start off after I stopped. I also use it to bump up the idle to about 1200 RPM to run air tools with my OBA.

Will

18. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hang on a sec....all those giveaways you rich fawkers do and DEPDOG is still blue? Somebody gave me a membership and all I am is a jackass. [darn] that, I'm buyin Dep a membership....