Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand throttle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Just curious if anyone runs a hand throttle... and how do you have it setup? I tried the bicycle cable type attached to the shifter. Seemed to work fine till I shifted into reverse... then she revved up about 1500 and it took me a couple seconds to figure what was goin on! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    So, I tried to readjust it, but when I had it set up for reverse so it wasnt pulling, there was too much cable in granny low to pull the throttle.
    Any suggestions or pics? Both inside pics and underhood would be cool!
    Thanks
    Mike

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

there was a post about this a month or 2 ago, maybe try searching for "+hand +throttle" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I did search. I got lots of hits, but no one ever commented on the reverse thing. i dont know how they set it up so it wouldnt pull when its shifted into reverse.
    And, most of the pics that I found are of the same thing... the shifter end.
    Anyways, thanks anyways.
    Mike

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the reving in reverse thing is an easy fix, get a longer cable, and route it so that it doesnt pull when you put it in reverse.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What I am going to use whenever I have a running rig /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif... is a fast idle solinoid and a B&M shift knob.
    $30 for the handle, already have a couple of solinoids and some wire.
    I am going to wire it as a ground activated circuit.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have one. It is a bike brake lever mounted onto the 4spd shifter. I routed the cable all the way down the shifter to the floor, then over thru the firewall and up to the carb. Mine never changes revs no matter where the shifter is because the cable never moves down by the floor.

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the reving in reverse thing is an easy fix, get a longer cable, and route it so that it doesnt pull when you
    put it in reverse.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, Like I said, when I adjusted the cable so it wouldnt pull it going into reverse, and then shift it to granny low, the bicycle shifter I had wasnt able to pull the cable enough to move the throttle. It wrapped all the way around to its own stop, and it just barely tightened the cable.

Anyways, I rerouted the cable into an old manual choke cable in my dash, now it works fine, its just not on my shifter.
    Thanks.
    Mike