Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand Throttle>?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

Anyone here got a hand throttle on their Q jet or whatever you run thinking about it one less pedal to use in a sticky situation , but just curious it you got pics, a link or any premade ones?

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ive heard of using a bike shifter and cable mounted on the gear shifter. I dont know how good it works couse its still on my to-do list

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

x2.

4. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I run one on my sm465 qjet combo...bmx bike brake lever, cable just connected to the qjet. Made a bracket to clamp the cable on. Easy to do and very useful.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

does the brake lever give you enough throttle? The pull seems kinda short

6. ProJunkRacing

can you take some pictures for me?

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Slightly different deal, but a friend who is a paraplegic races an S-10 in the Mojave desert events. I've moved the truck around a couple of times now. He uses a Harley twist throttle (b/c of it's push-pull 2x cable arrangement = no return spring) for the throttle in that truck. The throttle is mounted on the brake lever. Twist for GO, push for WHOA.

I thot it'd be awkward to drive, but having driven it at speed thru the rough I'm almost to the point of preferring it.

As to the BMX lever not having a lot of travel, you aren't likely to want/need WOT when using it anyway.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That setup would allow you to power-brake the vehicle almost too easily as well.

9. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Some days i just wonder what you are thinking.:doah:

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

I meant that as a good thing! :D

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

power braking is gay. its for people who dont have enough power to turn the tires over without assistance,

12. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I don't have one on the 'Burb yet, but I made this for my last rig and it was DA BOMB!!
    I got a pice of light gage tubing about the same dia as bike handelbars, and cut about a 10" length of it, made a "C" bracket that I clamped to the colom with 2 hose clamps and welded the tube to it. (like a colom shifter) I then mounted a MTN bike brake lever on it and put a bike handell grip on it. I used a universal 6' bike brake cable and ran it to the carb through an unused hole in the original T cable bracket. Then I just used crimp on solderless eye conector on the end of the cable and a small machine screw w/2 nuts, one on each side of a hole in the trot. arm on the carb.
    This set up worked so good, cause I had a good place to put my hand wile I was using it so I had good smooth controll of it. I could rock crawl like an auto equipt truck with it:D

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Several guys in our club have hand throttles. Most our mounted on the transmission shifter, and at least a couple use what I believe is a 10-speed bicycle gear shifter type device. They like that style because they can lock it at a certain position for a high idle type effect while on a hill.......can help a carb'd vehicle keep running on a steeper hill and let's you release the clutch without stalling the engine (while not having to hit the gas pedal).

14. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like the gear shifter idea. It would allow you to bump your idle to say 1200-1500 and keep it there. Certainly would be useful mainating idle on a hill or when needing to make a real quick brake/gas switch. The regular hand throttle with a bicycle brake lever has always interested me but I think that I may actually put a shifter in and see how it works.

15. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That would also allow you to bump your idle for winching... gotta keep those batteries charged (or the power steering pump moving for you hydraulic guys!)

16. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

you might be able to use a bike brake lever with the cable adjusting knob thing on the lever might be enough that you could adjust it out for a high idle and back down for normal idle

just a thought

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

Was your tranny in that rig a 435? I like that idea and may copy it when I get around to getting my own K5.

18. ProJunkRacing

i would not like the idea of it being on the colum tho

19. Inu-Hanyou1776

If I did make a hand-throttle I might put it on the shifter too if I went with a 465 tranny, cause in any stick-shifted vehicle I drive I almost always wind up using the shifter as a hand rest while steering with the left hand at 12 o'clock.

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

yea, 2.8L's with 31" Baja T/A's on a spool burn off so well. NOT!
    It is interesting in that I can set a high idle and then 'pump' the brakes to work the truck into the enclosed trailer.

The fly in the ointment is that even the cheesy bikes are going away from the desired "Friction Shifter" and to the "Index Shifter". Index shifters have discrete steps rather than being infinitely variable. Friction shifters are getting hard to find around these parts.
    There is a part made for tandem touring bikes that couples to brake levers to one brake. One of these could easily hook both a friction shifter and a brake lever to the throttle.